Fantom 15 problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piston

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
First time posting here and could use a little help. I've done the eletric evader trucks for a few months and have just bought a "used" Nitro evader with a Fantom 15 engine.

Problem is this thing is very tricky to get started, once it starts I can run it @ wot with a small bit of smoke from the pipe and the performance is insane (compaired to my electrics) but at low rpm it dies and will not restart for a bit. I'm constantly having to keep the glow plug starter on it it seems like.

Stats:
30% fuel
new glow plug
pull start but now using a drill (with the overrun bearing in place)
aftermarket pipe

Compression seems low, I can pull start it without lifting it more than a few inches off the ground (without holding onto the truck). Would this low compression cause this much of a low rpm problem? Or do I even have low compression???

Thanks for any help you can offer... I'm a automotive tech of 12yrs but these little trucks are a whole new world for me lol.

To check your compression turn the flywheel, if you can turn it over easily with your pinky then your piston/sleeve is pretty much shot. if not you should be fine.

you might want to richen up the low speed needle. turn it counter counter clockwise. there should be plenty of smoke when you mash the throttle. It also sounds like your idle screw is in too deep turn that out 1/2-3/4 of a turn and try that. Also make sure you don't pull the pullstart out more than 6 inches. I know there is more rope, but you don't want to pull it all the way out because you'll damage the pullstart coil.

I can turn it over with a pinky finger, I feel the compression strokes but it can be done. I'll take everything back to basic settings then go from there although I think I'll be taking a trip to the LHS this weekend for a few parts ;)

what I don't understand is why it just flat will not start after it dies... I've tried more fuel, less fuel, ran through 2 batteries in the glow plug starter trying to figure this thing out. Finaly wore out the spring in the starter and went to a drill (more so because my arm is worn out lol)

I'm not really sure how old the engine is, I bought it used and basicly know nothing about the car or how it ran before. I'm assuming this is why they got rid of it.. not sure. I'm wondering if a complete new engine wouldn't be a bad idea. I'll tinker with the carb settings on this one but if there is a problem in the carb or something to that affect, a new piston/sleeve will only put me 50.00 deeper in the hole.

As soon as it warms up, the sleeve expands a little bit. On a good engine, this allows for the piston to not bind much. On an old engine with minimal compression cold, as it warms up it just gets worse because the sleeve expands larger than the piston is. This is why you can keep it running at WOT. The RPM's don't let it die, but as soon as the RPM's drop, so does the inertia then the engine dies.

Get a new piston/sleeve and probably con-rod. Or send the piston/sleeve to os rocket to get it pinched.(if they do that engine)

But, that's just what I think...

It sounds like its all worn out.
You can go for a rebuild or get a new engine. If you let us know how deep into the hobby you want to go we can make some better informed recommendations for you.

how deep? oh I'm hooked... I don't know if I'll race it but I do have a few co-workers that have RC's and we're in the process of building a track for our use. I'd love to get this thing out there and fly. Right now its just a pita and not much fun.

I wonder if I shouldn't just pull it apart and see what needs to be replaced. I tried adjusting the needles but it didnt change things as far as the idle or starting problem.

If it is going to need a con- rod and all the bearings its almost better to get another engine right? I can move the crankshaft up and down (bearing play) which can't be good... I just don't know how much tolerance there is in these little engines.

I do appreciate all the help you guys have given thus far, glad I found this site!
IF a new engine is the answer, should I stick with the FR15?

i like the fr15, it's a good engine, but for the price does it give the performance for the $$$ i personally dont think so.

one thing i have noticed with the fantom engines i have dealt with in the past is that for a good tune remove it from the truck. make yourself a small engine bench/holder/whatever and tune it with no resistance. this is probably best for all engines, but i found this especially true with fantoms engines. but once you get them tuned they should run like crazy

The cost of a rebuild can be close to the same price of a new one.
You can rebuild it if you want and it will serve you well. The fantom is a great mill but is difficult to tune. If all this is new to you another engine may give you more time to drive rather than having to tweak the tuning all the time. Some people like to tweak and others like to drive.

There are several choices for a drop in engine and several more if you have a roto tool and don't mind cutting the shaft.

-Ed

I decided on a OS 15 CV-RX

I thought about getting the 18 but figured I had enough trouble keeping it on the track with a 15 why make it worse lol. The 18 was only $20.00 more... maybe I should have got it... nahhh baby steps!

I had the OS 15 cv-r(x) in my xxx-nt. It's a good solid engine that if taken care of, it will give you many gallons of running. Mine had 6 ran through it when I traded it off and I believe the new owner has run another 1.5 gal through it and it's still running fine.

i think the 15 should be plenty of power i was going to put a 18 in my gt but found the 15 to be plenty good

if you get rid of that fr15, how much you looking to get for it, i have a buggy that might enjoy a rebuilt fantom

Chewyboy, I'd be interested in selling it but I don't have a clue as to what its worth.

I spend this morning breaking the new engine in then this afternoon I took it to the park and played for a while. I love being able to give the cord a pull and its time to enjoy the thing. I'm amazed at the power! It's front wheels were off the ground most of the time!!! :D :D I did have a few little problems to work out...

Muffler kept falling off (need to bend the wire back so this doesn't happen) and the screw that holds the servo lever fell out causing a wide open run for a few seconds (wheels were on the ground, rc running in circles while I tried catch it). very comical actually lol.

Once I put a set of tires on it, it was very drivable with great throttle responce. I'm definatly hooked.

2 words, fail safe :p

anyway if you get an idea or want to talk about the fantom let me know i might be very interested in it.