Failsafe problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliessmith1992

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this site.
Basically I'm running in my new trophy truggy 4.6 and the failsafe didn't work and twice the car drive off by itself with no tragic accidents thankfully.
I have tried to redo the bind and failsafe but it is not working the bind seems to work but failsafe doesn't work when I try and reset it i have followed the manual but still no luck. Any ideas?
Thank you.

Welcome to RCNT. :welcome_sign:
I'm not sure if I will be able to help you with the failsafe issue but I would need to know the Manufacturer and model of your radio system as well as the failsafe.

It is a hpi trophy truggy 4.6 with the 2.4ghz receiver. Is there anything else you would like to know?

Is it the rtr radio you are using? The model number may be helpful still. Also, is the failsafe part of the original kit or is this an add on?

It is a hpi trophy truggy 4.6 with the 2.4ghz receiver. Is there anything else you would like to know?

The fail safe is to suppose to work for lost signal ,not for switch or battery failure!
You should be able to test by simply turning transmitter off ,an the throttle servo
should return to the neutral position!...:cool:

The failsafe was part of the original kit.
I have attached a picture of the transmitter

The fail safe is to suppose to work for lost signal ,not for switch or battery failure!
You should be able to test by simply turning transmitter off ,an the throttle servo
should return to the neutral position!...:cool:
There was no mention of battery failure I did turn off the transmitter and the car didn't engage the brakes

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 246
As @cbaker65 posted, is the issue you are experiencing due to a loss of signal? If not, installing a throttle return spring will fix the other issues and is DEF something you should not be running without! It's nothing more than a simple spring available at your local hardware store.

It is not loss of signal

If the issue is not caused by a loss of signal, the failsafe will not respond. That is the only thing it is designed to zero the thottle for. Installing the throttle return spring should get you back to running safely and not watching your investment run away from you. (That is a horrible feeling!!!)

I had the same problem with my HPI Truggy 4.6.
Turned out the wires rubbed on the AA receiver battery holder and when they shorted out the truck went off like a shot... scary.
Fixed it by repairing the wire and replacing the AAs with a hump NIMH pack.

I also installed a throttle return spring and battery level indicator as additional precautions.

Check out the thread here:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-thomas.113623/

By the way, Mike and the other guys on this forum were incredibly helpful in diagnosing the problem and helping me out.

Thank you. Always glad to help out when we can. That's why I love this forum! :thumbs-up:

Sonetimes the failsafe on these radios are a pita to set up. My futaba4pk is a pita. You can alwats buy a seperate failsafe. Theyre cheap and easy to set up. The venom goes between your servo and rx. You turn a screw to set it. Thats it.

I used to run the OFNA fail safes. Pretty sure I have a few in a drawer around here somewhere. I never set my FS to have brake. I always set it to the idle position. Then if I lose signal mid-flight, it doesn't do an uncontrolled endo and spear into the ground.

With my spektrum's, whereever the throttle/steering servos are at the time I bind is where it goes when I lose signal.

Tell me about it happened to me last week into rocks on the beach flat out