Failsafe issue. Need help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteMint

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a HPI Bullet MT 3.0 Nitro.
I have been using the standard controller up until now, but now feel the need for 2.4ghz reciever and transmitter, due to bashing with friends, and having interference between transmitters.
I have the Etronix Pulse EX2G transmitter and reciever now, but when I have my failsafe installed, the throttle servo glitches around, and wont stop moving about. When I remove the failsafe it works perfectly.
I have since found out that the new reciever has a failsafe built in, which returns the servo to neutral position. However, I want the servo to go to brake when the failsafe kicks in.
The built in one cannot be set to brake, so is there any way of getting my failsafe to work with this unit?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Pete.

I have a HPI Bullet MT 3.0 Nitro.
I have been using the standard controller up until now, but now feel the need for 2.4ghz reciever and transmitter, due to bashing with friends, and having interference between transmitters.
I have the Etronix Pulse EX2G transmitter and reciever now, but when I have my failsafe installed, the throttle servo glitches around, and wont stop moving about. When I remove the failsafe it works perfectly.
I have since found out that the new reciever has a failsafe built in, which returns the servo to neutral position. However, I want the servo to go to brake when the failsafe kicks in.
The built in one cannot be set to brake, so is there any way of getting my failsafe to work with this unit?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Pete.

A shot in the dark here but my guess is no. I think I've read on here that the failsafe is not designed to work with the 2.4.. As I said I'm sure I've read other people have had problems in the same situation but I could be totally wrong on this one

Thanks for the quick reply.
So, is there any other way to stop the truck going out of control when/if the batteries die, or it goes out of range?

The built-in failsafe is usually more than enough to prevent the vehicle from going out of control with low batteries or a loss of signal on a 2.4 GHz radio. It's usually better to have the throttle go to a neutral position than to apply full brakes as this could cause a complete loss of control (cartwheeling or traction rolling).

Cool, thanks for the reply.
I'll put my failsafe away, and leave it as it is with the neutral failsafe.
Cheers. :D

I believe it's a traxxas 2.4 system that comes with their brushless vehicles that isn't compatible with external fail safes.

Otherwise, 2.4 systems in general are fine with with external failsafes. If you unplug the receiver pack, what does the built in fail-safe do?

Last edited:
incorrect. I had the battery fall out of my truck, same as turning it off, and the throttle servo defaulted to brake, like I initially set it.

the point being the fail-safe holds a small charge, long enough to trigger the throttle servo to fail-safe mode. I'm not sure that built in units do the same, which is why I asked.

The built in fail safes are not designed for a total power loss. They detect a low voltage or a signal loss. Most externals are designed the same way.

The built in fail safes are not designed for a total power loss. They detect a low voltage or a signal loss. Most externals are designed the same way.

Right. And my point exactly. Having two failsafe's is a good idea, otherwise you're not fully protected. I know the venom smart temp works in this manner, without it I would have lost my SC8 for sure. Whether the receiver pack falls out while driving or you happen to remove it in a moment of "oops", I'd still want to return to neutral.

unless you're concerned about weight, it's cheap insurance. Just need to find one that's compatiable with the built in one, or take it into consideration when/if a new RX and TX are bought.

With spektrum, where you have your servos when you bind the transmitter to the receiver is where they go when FS mode kicks in. Seems that it does it for both t/b and steering on mine.

You could try to hold the trigger so it is braking and rebind to see if it works the same.