EZ Start won't glow plugs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prophet216

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I was driving my rustler today and it started to rain, on the way back home from the park I may have hit a puddle or 2. As the conditions continued to change my car stalled. I was thinking it stalled because of the 15 degree change in temp and because of all the other weather conditions that changed with the temp. But now I'm home and checking the car and the ez start won't glow any glow plugs. It lights both lights when I touch the plug to the head, but never glows. I've tried 3 different plugs. 2 worked yesterday and 1 is brand new. What could of happened? What am I missing

I was driving my rustler today and it started to rain, on the way back home from the park I may have hit a puddle or 2. As the conditions continued to change my car stalled. I was thinking it stalled because of the 15 degree change in temp and because of all the other weather conditions that changed with the temp. But now I'm home and checking the car and the ez start won't glow any glow plugs. It lights both lights when I touch the plug to the head, but never glows. I've tried 3 different plugs. 2 worked yesterday and 1 is brand new. What could of happened? What am I missing

Check the ground wire that is connected to the block or engine mount!

Ground is fine, wand only supplying about .5 volts. Made a home made glow ignighter. At 1.3 volts, aa battery, I can see smoke come off the plugs. Even at 1.3v the plugs don't really glow. I can see smoke come off them with a drop of fuel added. But I don't know how people see their plugs glow at 1.2 Volts, I went up to 2.4 volts before I could really see the plug glow but I here 1.2 1.5 is the desired voltage

Ground is fine, wand only supplying about .5 volts. Made a home made glow ignighter. At 1.3 volts, aa battery, I can see smoke come off the plugs. Even at 1.3v the plugs don't really glow. I can see smoke come off them with a drop of fuel added. But I don't know how people see their plugs glow at 1.2 Volts, I went up to 2.4 volts before I could really see the plug glow but I here 1.2 1.5 is the desired voltage

I think any more than 3 volts may burn the plug up!...Are you sure you are getting
the fuel to the carb.?

I think the starting wand may have a diode built in to dilute the 7.2 volt to 1.2 for the glo-plug ,
so the actual diode in the wand may be bad!

Fires right up with 2 aa betterys in parallel. I just attached to the glow wire, and pull the glow wire once started to kill battery drain. Once tuned up I can take battery's out of harness so I don't gotta worry about that plug wire touching anything.

Added a on off switch to make things easier. This will work till I get my glow ignitor in the mail.

Attachments

• IMG_20160814_005157.jpg
    IMG_20160814_005157.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 237
I flamed out a wand by storing it with a battery in it... Something shifted and held the button down... Did the same thing you're is doing. Fortunately I had another. Never bothered to mess with repairing the damage. An igniter would have been my next fix for sure tho.