Experiences tuning my S25, am I close?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossb

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I took the truck out today and I ran another 3 tanks of gas through it. As of now I have gone through 2.5 quarts. I did some checks on my current tuning and here is what I found.

First I checked my high side needle setting. When the motor is on the cold side it hesitates slightly when accelerating full throttle. Right after cold starting it does not rev high enough to hit second gear. It feels like a rich bog. After bringing the engine up to temp by doing a few ¾ throttle passes it revs quickly and easily without hesitation. It will then easily hit second gear and continue up to top speed. There is plenty of smoke when wide open. If I let the motor idle for a while (about 20 – 30 seconds of idle with slight blipping of the throttle) the engine temp will get low enough to the point where it will hesitate again on the first wide open blast. After a quick pass the engine gets warm enough again to eliminate the low temp hesitation. The engine temps are mid 250s when just driving around on and off the throttle. The temps get up to about 278 after multiple top speed passes. It drops down to around 230 degrees after an extended idle. The outside conditions were hot and humid with temps in the high 80s.

Next I checked the low side needle. I did 4 top speed passes and immediately pulled the truck in. I pinched the fuel line right near the car and after about 1 second the idle rose slightly. It stalled about 2 seconds later. Acceleration is smooth right off the line. I think my LSN setting is very good.

Even though the outside conditions were very hot and humid the S25 seems to be making a lot of power with the stock 15/49 gearing. Its not pulling any wheelies from a dead stop on pavement but it is spinning both the front and rear tires on pavement when I hit it at low speeds and it is launching very hard. It does lift a slight wheelie if I hit it hard around a tight turn. I can get the truck to do a powerslide on pavement and I am learning to drive it on two wheels while turning. I have a feeling that it might launch harder and possibly wheelie on pavement when the weather gets cooler and I run some more fuel through the motor.

Is it normal for a motor to bog slightly when the engine is on the cold side or am I running a bit too rich? It seems to run great after I heat the motor up a bit with a few mid speed passes.

Sounds like you're running just slightly rich on both the LSN and HSN

Why would you say that my LSN is too rich? It seems as though it passes the "pinch test".

rossb said:

Is it normal for a motor to bog slightly when the engine is on the cold side or am I running a bit too rich? It seems to run great after I heat the motor up a bit with a few mid speed passes.

Why? This portion of your thread might be why.

And he said slightly rich on both needles...not TOO rich. Based on the bogging comment, I tend to agree. You might be just a hair rich.

Thanks. I'll try to lean a hair. So far I am happy with this motor. It seems to make very good power.

Back