esc options

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudbogginredneck

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys. I have a sc10rs. I have been threw a few motors just trying to get the speed I was looking for. A lot of rpm products, and a few other hop-ups. I ended up running a fuse motor esc combo. First couple of minutes running, the esc burns up. I am running a 6700kv motor and I have been out of r/cs for a little bit. I'm looking for info on a esc that will hold up to the motor. I'm sure the tires I was running caused the burnt esc. I was running badlands on grass when it happened. Anyhow, and help or advice is greatly appreciated.

What is your gearing ratios? Also what RC is it on?

Gonna need more info.

-Battery? (# of cells, mAh & C-rating)
-Can? (540? 550? Sensored? # of poles?)
-ESC model? Amp Rating?

What kind of speed are you looking for? Short course trucks aren't high speed critters. The chassis, suspension, tires and bodies just aren't conducive to speeds over 50 or 60 MPH.

Give us all the details you can, and tell us what your goals are. We can get you there (within reason), but it might not happen on a small budget.

I can tell you straight away that a small, high KV/low turn can on a smaller battery is going to give you exactly the problems you describe going for speed, even in a light weight critter like the 2WD RS.

I will have to look when I get home. Can't remember off the top of my head as it's been so long since I've messed with it.

Hate you smoked your ESC. I hope you greatly reduced the gearing for running that 6700kv motor. I have the same truck, and I'm running the stock Reedy 3300kv motor. Tire choice won't burn up an ESC, unless you have tires that are a lot larger than stock, enough larger that it substantially changes your rollout ratio. Did you check motor/ESC temps when you installed the new motor by chance? My guess is the combination of high load being ran on grass with tires that have a ton of traction, along with a motor that is more than twice the stock KV rating and tall gearing caused the motor to ask for more than the ESC was rated for, and poof.

I missed the part about what car it is sorry, but I have the same car I just put a Turnigy 4000kv motor and ESC on with a programmer, stock gearing and the thing zips! I looked on some other forums guys are using 5000kv motors racing them, let alone a 6700Kv!

And HPI guy what tires do you run on yours? I have the j-concepts subcultures and they are good but when I am full throttle they stretch out and by now they are stretched so bad they are pretty loose on my rims.