EPO Cessna 162 Equipment Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dborns

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, new member with the first round of questions on a kit I just received. I’m looking forward to hobby flying, and putting this kit together. This is my first build so please bear with me!
It’s from Banggood; an EPO Cessna 162. I knew I was going to need more parts than what came in the kit, but the answers for what I need are all over the place....
Some Q/A said it comes with everything you need. It doesn’t, which is fine. The problem is I don’t speak very good Chinese, so I’m clueless on what I need.
I don’t see an engine, servos, or a transmitter. All I have in the box is the body parts, some balsa reinforcement pieces, wheels, and some cables.
So first question is, what would I need for a motor, servos, and transmitter?
Second is on putting it together; it talks about glue, but is there a certain type I need that won’t eat styrofoam?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• B812CD49-6D5F-44CB-905C-C425DAFEEBD9.jpeg
    B812CD49-6D5F-44CB-905C-C425DAFEEBD9.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 89
  • F42960D7-BEDC-4699-B554-6CE9F360F5AF.png
    F42960D7-BEDC-4699-B554-6CE9F360F5AF.png
    498.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 0AA993EB-3885-48F5-8E4E-721469FC22ED.png
    0AA993EB-3885-48F5-8E4E-721469FC22ED.png
    415.1 KB · Views: 60
Hello, new member with the first round of questions on a kit I just received. I’m looking forward to hobby flying, and putting this kit together. This is my first build so please bear with me!
It’s from Banggood; an EPO Cessna 162. I knew I was going to need more parts than what came in the kit, but the answers for what I need are all over the place....
Some Q/A said it comes with everything you need. It doesn’t, which is fine. The problem is I don’t speak very good Chinese, so I’m clueless on what I need.
I don’t see an engine, servos, or a transmitter. All I have in the box is the body parts, some balsa reinforcement pieces, wheels, and some cables.
So first question is, what would I need for a motor, servos, and transmitter?
Second is on putting it together; it talks about glue, but is there a certain type I need that won’t eat styrofoam?
Thanks in advance!

That is a kit ,you would have to buy the other stuff ,in which electric stuff isnt that expensive if
you know what to look for ,if it is small ,then you would need micro servo's ,4 channel stick
radio transmitter & receiver ,electronic speed control an motor ,best to look at the manual
for the size motor & battery it takes!

Servos: 9g x 4 pcs better make sure you have correct size and travel also..
Motor: 2212 motor KV1000
ESC: 20A
Battery: 11.1V 1500 - 2200MAH 25C lipo charger id get a lipo bag also.
Propeller: 9047 or 1047 -get more than 1
RC: 2.4Ghz 4ch RC
as i read about this kit it comes with some gear depends on kit...

cbaker, the only manual is a double side page that looks like a Chinese menu, so it doesn’t say anything about electronic needs.

Both of you that have responded, what’s the best site to go to for these parts? There are no hobby stores anywhere around.

cbaker, I didn’t mean to sound disrespectful, I just was trying to say there’s no actual manual.

Do you all have a suggestion on glue for install?

Another thing, I didn’t mention. Does this size plane need to be flown only at RC flight fields? We live somewhat in the country, and can fly it away from homes, but I wasn’t sure if you needed to have to be at a flight area.

cbaker, I didn’t mean to sound disrespectful, I just was trying to say there’s no actual manual.

Do you all have a suggestion on glue for install?

Another thing, I didn’t mention. Does this size plane need to be flown only at RC flight fields? We live somewhat in the country, and can fly it away from homes, but I wasn’t sure if you needed to have to be at a flight area.

If you are in a small town like I am were the neighbor hood kids are allowed to race their quad runners
up & down the street ,then knock yourself out!... :hehe:

That plane ,if it is small enough ,should be able just hand launch it ,I dabbled in planes before ,I use to have
a 40 size nitro 72 '' wing span ,but it needed a ground run for take off ,but sold it an stuck with the smaller
foamies to just hand launch them practically off my door step!
You will need to know some construction of that stuff ,like servo position in the fuselage ,an need to know
how to set up servo's with the control rods & horns to the flaps & rudder control area's!...:cool:

I bought these an installed them ,got them working but never got around to fly this one yet ,
I need to buy a battery for it to fly it!

1616530447284.png

1616530472120.png

Ok, thank you both for the info. Hopefully I can start working on this next week. I’ll download the instructions from the link provided, and start looking for parts.

cbaker, it is a small town, and actually we live just outside town, with only a few streets in our neighborhood. That’s good and bad... We lost the two previous planes somewhere in our neighbors horse pasture to the west. Once it leveled out, I couldn’t tell if it was heading back towards us, or away. I drove that pasture for hours and never found it. The other one went north towards heavy timber as we had a strong north wind that day. Again, it leveled out so I couldn’t tell if it was coming or going. Both times I just finally dumped it straight down hoping it would come down, but I never found either one.
I don’t know how these work, as in once they lose the control from the transmitter do they just stop, or does the motor just keep going?
They were both pretty high, so they could have just glided for quite a ways.
This one will be used at a local park that is wide open...

They were just the cheaper small planes. They have great range, it was just dumb on my part to fly them here, where we have heavy timber all around and both days the wind was blowing too strong. And like I mentioned, as new “pilots”, it was hard for us to get the bearings on it when it got to far away and leveled out. It was hard to tell if it was coming back to us our going a way.
Here’s the transmitter-

Attachments

• 1DEBA870-F4EA-4C2C-A4D2-281C7E741A2F.jpeg
    1DEBA870-F4EA-4C2C-A4D2-281C7E741A2F.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 60
Ok, thank you both for the info. Hopefully I can start working on this next week. I’ll download the instructions from the link provided, and start looking for parts.

cbaker, it is a small town, and actually we live just outside town, with only a few streets in our neighborhood. That’s good and bad... We lost the two previous planes somewhere in our neighbors horse pasture to the west. Once it leveled out, I couldn’t tell if it was heading back towards us, or away. I drove that pasture for hours and never found it. The other one went north towards heavy timber as we had a strong north wind that day. Again, it leveled out so I couldn’t tell if it was coming or going. Both times I just finally dumped it straight down hoping it would come down, but I never found either one.
I don’t know how these work, as in once they lose the control from the transmitter do they just stop, or does the motor just keep going?
They were both pretty high, so they could have just glided for quite a ways.
This one will be used at a local park that is wide open...

Lol...I almost lost my 40 size in a cotton field ,it got too far away an could not tell weather it was coming or going ,
finally ,just had to shut the engine down an let it drop down ,took an hour to find it ,it only broke the front nose
gear broke!...:hehe:

That’s a cool looking plane in post #8, nice job!

After reading your story of losing yours in a field, it reminded me this isn’t the only two instances of ours being lost...

The first time my 12 year old, sweetest child, flew it off and again, it didn’t come back. She was devastated that she was the one that lost it. I searched off and on for a couple days because I didn’t want her to be upset about it. I found that thing so far away in a clump of trees...
That’s why I was asking if they continue to run, the motors, even after losing contact? I’m mean this thing was up high, but it went way farther than I’d expect if the engine cutout.

I’m starting to get a little worried after research online on some of these things... It feels like it could be just as addicting as my other 2A hobby, and easily get out of hand.

That’s a cool looking plane in post #8, nice job!

After reading your story of losing yours in a field, it reminded me this isn’t the only two instances of ours being lost...

The first time my 12 year old, sweetest child, flew it off and again, it didn’t come back. She was devastated that she was the one that lost it. I searched off and on for a couple days because I didn’t want her to be upset about it. I found that thing so far away in a clump of trees...
That’s why I was asking if they continue to run, the motors, even after losing contact? I’m mean this thing was up high, but it went way farther than I’d expect if the engine cutout.

I’m starting to get a little worried after research online on some of these things... It feels like it could be just as addicting as my other 2A hobby, and easily get out of hand.

If a loss of signal ,you should have a fail safe on board to automaticly shut things down ,but in case it gets to far
out were you can't tell if it is going or coming ,you should be able to shut the transmitter off an lose signal for
a fail safe to work to bring it down!
With my Cox plane with the 049 engine ,once the engine ran out of fuel an died ,I was able to keep it in flight
for about 10 min just by gliding an catching thermals as the main wing had a lot of dihedral built into it ,so it
glided well on a dead stick!...:cool:

I've never seen one of those radios, and I'd bet it's part of your problem. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. A higher end radio setup will have better noise isolation, better frequency hopping in case of interference, better range, a range test feature and some type of programmable fail safe setup. Id' highly recommend a new radio having lost two previous planes. Just my $.02.

I should have been more clear on the radio. That’s one that has come with the cheaper planes I’ve bought. I won’t be using anything cheap for this Cessna.
They actually have pretty good range; the planes get up there, and would respond from a long ways out.... Even the two that were lost and never found were still responding to the radio, it was just user error not having my bearings and not being able to tell if they were coming or going once they leveled out with the horizon. Then they would just disappear.

I should have been more clear on the radio. That’s one that has come with the cheaper planes I’ve bought. I won’t be using anything cheap for this Cessna.
They actually have pretty good range; the planes get up there, and would respond from a long ways out.... Even the two that were lost and never found were still responding to the radio, it was just user error not having my bearings and not being able to tell if they were coming or going once they leveled out with the horizon. Then they would just disappear.

In some cases ,it has been known that people will actually use a different color scheme on one side of the wing
like a colored stripe to identify which way the plane is going ,you can also try something like that!.. :cool:

Back