Engine suggestion for heavy Revo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokinAces

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey everyone.

I am looking for a engine upgrade for a 20+ lb Revo. I am leaning more towards the LRP .32 as I hear it has ample amounts of low end torque. My Revo has a all-steel single speed tranny, spur & CB plus MIP spline shafts, Duratrax Lockup MT tires (a bulk of the weight), ERBE diffs, 250cc tank and several 7075 aluminum brace pieces.

I am designing it more for backyard brawling and stomping with weight and power to conquer just about anything. I am not looking for standing backflips, wheelies or even 10ft jumps.

I put a Dynamite Mach 427 in my Revo, I couldn't imagine anything bigger in it, although mine isn't that heavy, its pretty much a stock 2.5R Revo. I have only ran about 6 tanks with this motor and havnt even started leaning it out yet and it rides wheelies at will.

010_zps4d1e234d.jpg

011_zps61b86b9b.jpg

012_zps9d4977d9.jpg

Get a picco boost .28. Better yet a Clocked Picco boost .28

Is a Picco boost .28 well suited for a Revo this heavy? I'm afraid its higher RPM band will not be enough to sling this truck around with force. Remember that there is no 1st gear and therefore no help for the low end.

---------- Post added at 3:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:14 PM ----------

I had a Ofna Max JL .28 previously installed and while it did keep up with the Revo as I built it larger, I feel my Revo is growing it.

Picco is known for its massive bottom end. Better than an lrp .32 bottom end. Put an ercm pipe on it and you can tune for power with header length.

Picco is known for its massive bottom end. Better than an lrp .32 bottom end. Put an ercm pipe on it and you can tune for power with header length.

Hmm. I heard the Piccos have some front bearing leakage issues (guess it wont matter since I seal my engines with Buku caps). These ECRM pipes sound like the real deal. I am currently using a Losi EFRA2071/RE11 pipe.

I have no complaints with my lrp 30x. The trans essentially shifts to second gear within a foot or so of leaving the line and the front end comes off the ground shortly after. I put a center diff in the trans to get some semblance of control.

Here is a picture of my Revo
2014-06-19013438.gif

20140619_013238_PennfieldDr.gif

Someone needs a new scale:D

I know it doesn't look like it but I weighted it with a scale here at work with the Max .28 and it was 20lb 3oz w/o fuel. The tranny and wheels add considerable weight. The tranny has all RRP gears plus the single speed conversion required several tool steel screws, spacers, and a few 7075 parts I machined to add reinforcement. The HS-7954 & 5565 servos are heavier. The 7075 plate for the battery/fuel tank adds additional weight.

Actually, besides ample engine power the only thing I am concerned about are the diffs; those heavy tires on MIP splines will likely wear the diffs quickly. I wish I could get my hand on some RCM Revo 1/8 diffs.

Revo base wt is 10.3lbs. So you added 10lbs???

I know what rrp gears and 7075 aluminum weigh. What do the tires/wheels weigh? Jumbo Kong’s (about the heaviest MT tire out) weigh under 8lbs per set.

If the tires are that heavy the BL diffs will not cut it very long.
A 20+lb Revo dose'nt make for a good basher.

Revo base wt is 10.3lbs. So you added 10lbs???

I know what rrp gears and 7075 aluminum weigh. What do the tires/wheels weigh? Jumbo Kong’s (about the heaviest MT tire out) weigh under 8lbs per set.

If the tires are that heavy the BL diffs will not cut it very long.
A 20+lb Revo dose'nt make for a good basher.

I was kinda wondering that my self, Revos are known for being pretty light and 20+ pounds is really heavy, my Losi LST is twice as big as my Revos and it doesn't even come close to 20 pounds. How is that thing on rear bulk heads? I have a 3.3 Revo that I call my farm truck, named after the ugly chevy tuck on street outlaws, it is the truck that I bash the hardest and I have problems with breaking rear bulk heads and it isn't heavy, stock 2.5 truck with a 3.3 engine swap.

20 lbs? thats intense. my savage XL has a .32 with 40 series mashers and only weighs 16 lbs

I have both of these Picco .21 and THS 146h in both my trucks and love them!

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 264
  • S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Those trenchers on desperados actuall dont weigh as much as the joes, they're light for the size

they are pretty light, but I'm just tryin to say.. 20 LBS for a Revo is far fetched... but man it would be a hell of a pulling truck

I agree, was defending the fact that 20+ was lb is exaggerated, lol

My LST XXL with 1/5 scale tires, New Era roll bar, extended skids and TBR bumbers weighed in at just under 18lbs.

sabu5yqu.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back