Engine size - does size matter?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papabear_1972

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I have noticed when looking at different 1/5 scale electric RC cars and trucks that they can have different sized electric engines. Does this have an impact on the top speed of the car or truck or power of the car or truck?

motor size will matter along with cell count.. size matters as in everything.

What I was thinking was that some Armma RC cars have larger engines than Losi cars. Will this give a Armma car a higher top speed compared to a Losi car?

as long as tires are larger and kv and voltage exceeds the other.some will have alot more outa the hole punch as in torque while the other may have a slight top speed advantage.

What I was thinking was that some Armma RC cars have larger engines than Losi cars. Will this give a Armma car a higher top speed compared to a Losi car?
Not necessarily but it could. At the very least it should run cooler. Size matters to a degree but you can compensate in other ways too like cell count and gearing as TNT mentioned.

I am in the market for a new 1/5 scale RC car. From what I have gathered, my choices are either a Losi DBXL-E or a 1/5 scale Outcast 4 by 4 8S BLX Stunt Truck RTR. the Losi has few if any aftermarket parts while the Armma has many. The Armma is marketed to the brasher community (a downside for me, I am more of a racer and a need for speed type). The engine on the Losi (at least according to specs) seems smaller than the one on the Armma (another possible downside). On another side, Losi cars are hard to find and always in demand while the Armma cars have plenty of availability. Is it worth it to try to find a Losi DBXL-E? Is it the right choice?

If you want a 1/5 truggy look at the arrma kraton 8S. I'm pretty smitten with mine. It's pretty fast and handles really well.

As for the other 2 you mentioned then DBXLE is a buggy and the outkast is basically a monster truck so given the area you'll be running it in which one seems better for you?

Also if you find yourself in the monster truck market, I'd also take a look at the Traxxas xmaxx

Thank you Greywolf 74 for the advice. For my own part, I really want the Losi DBXL-E but they are very hard to find. I was considering a Armma because they are a lot easier to get and buy. It sounds like from you, that the Armma would be a very good choice. The area where I would run the buggy is mostly flat with some hills. Thank you again for the help.