engine rebuild, how to?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northlander

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I may be looking to rebuild my engine in the near future but have no idea where to get the parts to do it. I am currently running the stock motor that comes with the lightning rtr. If anyone could give me some places to get the parts I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Need more info... what type of engine is it?

Did you check your manual? Usually they have a blown up view of the engine along with the part numbers.

well my thought is most of the time its cheaper just to buy a new one..in the long run.

Yeah... if it's the stock mill... you would probibly be better off just replacing it with something better. Although most buggies now adays come with respectable engines, it never hurts to upgrade, you don't have to break the bank either. Think about it.

I like it but since it is my first nitro buggy I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks to all for the responses, I now have a little direction for a solution.

Originally posted by zandor22
well my thought is most of the time its cheaper just to buy a new one..in the long run.
Absolutely. My $389 Sirio Monster .27's actually cost more to rebuild than just plain buying a new one. In the long run it will be cheaper regardless to buy a new engine than to rebuild plus you do get a warranty from a rebuild engine vs a rebuilt one.

Jesus... how much was it to rebuild?

Originally posted by zandor22
One word zandor....no......a piston,rod and sleeve it a total of like 80 bucks on the high end engines(some may be higher, dont posta nd tell em I'm wrong)

Sorry for no answering the topic question

Take off the engine's head, take off the back plate and clutches and flywheel and such, pull out the crank shaft, then pull out the sleeve/piston, clean everythign real good, put the new piston,rod and sleeve in and install everything over again and set it back to stock needle settings

Last edited:
I mean... honestly, I agree with you to replace the motor, but what do you mean "in the long run it's cheaper"? Just an honest question.:jade:

The engine that I have in my buggy is an OS .21RG-X(P). Tower sells this engine for $140.

To rebuild this engine I would need....

Gasket Set - $3.89
Con Rod - $13.49
Sleeve and Pison - $66.99

Right there is $90.37. After I rebuild this engine it will be like new but it won't have any type of warranty. Some also replace the crankshaft. That is another $23.99. So the total is $114.36.

This is just a sport engine. The higher performance mills will be even more expensive to rebuild, such as the one that EP mentioned. It's a decision that you must make.

If you decide to get a new engine you could keep the old engine for parts such as the crank case and carb. Or you could part it out on eBay and try to off set some of the cost of buying new.

Back