Engine problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006rlt

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've just replaced the glow plug in a traxxas 4tec, i believe the engine is a gx15 but not too sure, it is fitted with an ez start. The engine was turning fine then all of a sudden it has locked up and wont turn over :whhooo: any suggestions?

Take the glow plug out it's prob flooded. After you get the glow plug out put the ez start in and turn the car over and try to spin it over. You more than likely have a ton of fuel stuck on top of the engine and thats a safety feature of the ez start to not allow the engine to turn over if there is a issue

ok thanks ill try that

Take the glow plug out it's prob flooded. After you get the glow plug out put the ez start in and turn the car over and try to spin it over. You more than likely have a ton of fuel stuck on top of the engine and thats a safety feature of the ez start to not allow the engine to turn over if there is a issue

werd^ if its flooded it will lock up

I've removed the glow plug and the engine will spin but it only does about a half turn at a time it does this a couple of times then locks again, think I've killed it?

Ok so I got it turning over and now it's firing very briefly then cutting out put I think it's flooding as soon as it starts anyone know how to stop this?

If it's flooding,lean the LSN(turn clockwise)1/4 turn. Yea that's a lot for the LSN but the object is to make a big difference and get it to stay running. Then you can tune according to what it needs by temp and running conditions.

Any idea what the plug was you removed? Do you know what brand/model the plug is you put in? What nitro content are you running?

GX15 is a kyosho engine I believe.

Using too cold of a plug for your application could give you fits. All small blocks I've run like running a hot plug with 20% nitro fuel.

is it higher the nitro % the cooler the plug . less nitro hotter plug cause it takes more heat to burn the lower nitro content? cause i would think it takes higher heat to burn more nitro . plugs allways confused me and yes i saw the sticky in the tunning sticky i belive.But don't really understand i know it has something to do with the outside temp as well .

Higher nitro = cooler plug
lower nitro = hotter plug

Nitro makes the fuel more volatile and explode easier when under pressure. Too hot of a plug will cause it to fire too early in the rotation (detonation), which causes pitting on the piston/head button and gives you worse power output since it's partially being wasted as the piston is still coming up.

so lets say it is 45 deg outside and your running 30% = med plug ? or a hotter plug because of the colder temps? or do the outside temps not matter untill they get below say 38 or whenever it is that the fuel starts to gel.

good night i think i'm food drunk

Ambient temp has little to do with the plug. The only relation of plug temp to the engine is combustion timing. Hotter plug causes the fuel/air mix to combust earlier in the rotation. Cooler plug causes it later.

I've run down to ambient 20F. Much colder than that and I just don't want to be outside. Keeping an engine tuned properly and keeping the temps up are issues cold ambient temps cause. Running an engine too cold means the sleeve doesn't expand enough and grinds down the piston quicker which shortens the engines life.