Engine Problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keven0

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys, so I've had my associated rc10gt for a few years now and its just been sitting in my garage. It ran great a few years ago but after trying to tune it problems went wrong. It wouldn't start but i took it to a hobby shop and the guy got it to run after a while. It stopped starting before i put it away and recently i've been wanting to play with it. The problem is it doesn't start. I've turned the high speed and low speed mixtures to about 2 1/2 turns out and the idle speed screw is turned in enough so that the carb is about 1/16th open. When i try to pull start it nothing happens, it smells like nitro burning but the engine doesn't ignite. I've grabbed some Blue Thunder 20% fuel and the glow plug turns red so i'm completely clueless to what is going on. I've tried to put a little fuel in the carb and start it but that doesn't work either. I'm deciding whether to just take apart the engine and clean it (i think it might be gummed up after sitting there) or just selling it but i don't want to do that. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! thanks

Make sure you have a fully charged igniter. Also make sure the glow plug glows almost bright yellow. Take off the air cleaner and drop several drops of fuel into the carb neck. Start pulling the cord several times. If it sputters and stalls, you'll know it ignited, but there's either a bad setting on your carb or the needles are clogged from sitting and it will not draw or mix the fuel properly.

i checked the high speed mixture needle (the screw inside the gold sleeve) and it was clear. I tried priming the engine and everything. I took out the glow plug and pulled it and after a few pulls some fuel was spraying out but it still doesn't ignite

Was it your first RC or do you have some general nitro experience?

I've found that upping the trim on your radio a bit to open the crab a few mm more helps to get them started the first time. Once it's warmed up, you can back the trim back down.

I've seen newer guys to nitro pump the trigger like a 1:1 car. They don't work that way. Pumping it does nothing. In a car, (older car with a carb), there was an auxiliary pump. By pumping it, it was physically pumping fuel into the carb and down the intake manifold.

I'm not saying any of this in a bad way. I'm just saying it as a guy who's ran nitro for quite a few years and what I've noticed less experienced guys battle with. Starting is a battle when your new. Especially with a pull-start rig since you don't have a roto-start or bump start creating constant suction getting the fuel into the engine.

the car itself has been sitting for at least a year and I just purchased the fuel this morning. This is my first car but i used to be able to start it with a few short jerks on the pull start.

I'd be inclined to pull the carb apart and clean everything really well with DA. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to blow fuel through the tank backwards if it has an in-tank filter. The old fuel residue turns into a bit of a gel and can clog stone filters. While doing so, also replace the fuel line.

good looking out olds97. I already took the tank out and cleaned it due to all the built up residue. I'm thinking about taking apart the carb and engine maybe tomorrow to just clean it all at this point.

Change your glow plug before you waste time with a tear down. I got a buddies RC10GT fired by doing the following: Clean tank; change fuel line; change the glow plug. I also popped the carb off and gave it a quick rinse with fresh fuel. A little fuel down the carb and it banged off in two pulls. It sat in a barn for 4 years with fuel in the tank. It runs great.

Alright so I took apart the whole carb and rinsed it in some fuel even though it didn't look too dirty. Charging the igniter and hopefully it starts tomorrow

Set your needles back to factory settings and lean both of them about 1/8 of a turn in. Make sure your carb is open 1-2mm at idle.
When you reinstall the carb, make sure you press very hard on the neck to compress the O-ring while you tighten the clamp. That ensures you don't get an air leak there.

good news guys. i fired it up today and it started with a few drops of fuel in the carb. i'm pretty sure there was a leak in the engine but it's all good now. After being started it idles for about a second and then the rpms go crazy and it dies. I'm thinking it's the speed mixtures but not sure which can you guys help me out?

anyone?

edit: After some reading i learned that i should make my low speed mixture more rich (counter clockwise) is this correct?

Last edited:
You are too lean on the LSN if it revs up like that... Most likely you have an air leak that is leaning it out. Can you give it any throttle before it dies?

Last edited:
So it fires up and idles now but once i touch the gas it makes the wheels continue to spin even after i let off the gas. It seems like it wants to get away from me. Could this be because my low speed mixture is too rich now? the carb is barely open at this point during idle.

yeah i can give it throttle without it dying, i drove it around my backyard for a bit but it just sounded like it was working too hard. the wheels don't want to stop moving even idling

wow hey rcaddict this is EXACTLY what my mt is doing... but it wont let me adjust the idle i can turn it all the way back and forth and it wont change