engine fitting problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laton7

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have an Hpi Nitro Star T3.0 that I want to put into an older Traxxs Rustler but it isn't a direct fit so I was wondering if I need a BB motor mount or something, pictures will follow later when I get a chance.
Tanks guys!

I don't see how its not a direct fit. That engine is a side exhaust and the rustler calls for a side exhaust engine.

When I get home I'll link some pictures and you'll see what I mean. The mount on the car is no where near the mounting holes on the motor which is why I think there's something missing

Last edited:
You may can use an hpi mount from an rs4... Just thinking but not sure of it.

Are the holes not lining up, or is the base of the engine too low?

The first picture is of the engine mount that I have in place taken from the left side of the car. The second is of the base of the motor. The third is taken from just over the back left wheel and is of the engine placed "in" the motor mount.
I hope this helps?

Attachments

• IMG-20121012-00442.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG-20121012-00443.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG-20121012-00444.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 149
I did a bit of research and found this.

Below are the measurement for the Nitro star 3.0 mounts

SPECS: Height from crankcase bottom to top of cylinder head: 3.8" (96mm)
Width including mounting tabs: 1.57" (40mm)
Width below mounting tabs: 1.2" (31mm)
Width between mounting holes same side: 0.43" (11mm)
Width between mounting holes opposite side: 1.2" (31mm)
Width of exhaust opening: 0.87" (22mm)
Height of exhaust opening: 0.17" (4.2mm)
Distance between muffler mounting holes 1.1" (28mm)

Below here are the measurement for the Trx 3.3

Distance between mounting holes same side: 0.39" (10mm)
Distance between mounting holes opposite side: 1.2" (32mm)
Distance from center of engine to front bearing: 1.2" (32mm)
Distance/bottom of mounting flanges/top of cylinder head: 3.5" (88mm
Width of mounting flanges: 44mm

the distance between the two holes on the same side are different by a bit. The 3.3 is supposed to be a direct drop in on the nitro rustler(if you have the old .15 version I am not sure i the kit supports the 3.3 as well or not). I also found this kit that converts an older .15 nitro rustler to accept a 2.5, so this may work for the nitro star engine. here is the link before you buy it try to get a first hand account of this, as I only found it doing research.

Conversion kit $23

I know this isn't a solution, but maybe a point in the right direction :)

Last edited:
Fantastic thank you :D! I'll look into it

i did a bit of thinking on this, and looked up the OS .18 specs and they are virtually identical. look up installing an OS .18TZ on the nitro rustler. you may have to buy that kit and get a seperate engine mount, as it looks like there is an adapter for the mount in the kit. If worst come to worst you could always sell the nitro star and buy a 3.3.

Isn't that the older engine the pro .15?

I'm gonna pm u some info it has other forum links in it dont want to do that here

You're missing a piece of the engine mount, it should have 3, the one on the chassis and two that attach to the engine AND the mount. 4460 is the part you need, look in the picture, you're missing the left 2 pieces.

4460.jpg

ah! yes that would do I think :p thank you, I have just ordered one

Sounds like alot of retro fitting to me WHY NOT just buy a TRX powerplant for your Rustler although I like HPI powerplants in this situation I'd just buy a bigger TRX engine...

big block in a 10th scale buggy

I don't mean to hi jack the post but you seem to know about engine conversions. I have a 10th scale rolling chassis redcat racing and a mach .26 big block. Everything is working but I cannot find the right height adjustable motor mounts for my conversion. I ordered a set they are to short and the frame mount is to long? Could you help please?

"All the best"