EMaxx 3906 basher

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzle67

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
Got my one and only RC rig moving on its own power today. Needed a Steering servo and 2 speed servo. Put a new steering servo in and used my old servo as the 2 speed switch. Another helpful fix was with the tie rods or turnbuckles. Reason for it being unused couldnt figure how to toe in.just a simple switch of mounting and viola fixed. Dialed in the old speed control better and it zips around on NiCAD nicely now. Now I need to put some better wheels and tires to rip around the dirt.

Here is the old beast.

Attachments

• 20210302_120013.jpg
    20210302_120013.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210302_120235.jpg
    20210302_120235.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 67
It's crazy how far we've come with brushless and lipo. At least that's not a resistive type "esc" that has like 2 speeds.

Ever think of throwing lipo in that thing?

@olds97_lss. I have yes. It really needs more juice. My custom series plug I feel is taking away from the battery performance. Baby steps right?. Put a new servo in to make sure it had the ability to move on it own. Now time to make an upgrade list.

You definitely need to get rid of all the automotive plugs ... Id start with a complete noodle wire rewire job take alot of picks so you dont switch polarities on anything.. Id go to xt 90 plug for batteries and charger... not sure what the max voltage of that esc.. id check on its max.. if 16.8volts id look at 2 lipos to power that rig

You definitely need to get rid of all the automotive plugs ... Id start with a complete noodle wire rewire job take alot of picks so you dont switch polarities on anything.. Id go to xt 90 plug for batteries and charger... not sure what the max voltage of that esc.. id check on its max.. if 16.8volts id look at 2 lipos to power that rig
So I took your advice about the auto plugs. Changed those over. My esc is a Novak 828-Hv. It has a high rating.

So it is a brushed motor working with 6S Lipo. Anything that I need to worry about. Oh I do need separate power for servos. I also need a low volt alarm so I dont kill the lipos. Easy right? And route out a side so I can actually put a 6s pack in the chassis.

Attachments

• 16147962293966583515528492082613.jpg
    16147962293966583515528492082613.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 59
Can't believe that thing is good for 28 cell NiMH, 33.6V/500A nominal.

I'd have to assume your weak point would be the motors and drive train, so might be better running 4S, which is close to running 12 cell NiMH. But you won't have near the voltage sag or drop off as you run and much higher current throughout the charge.

Could throw a 10A BEC in there for good measure as the BEC is only [email protected] out of the esc anyway. Something like this for $24 would power your receiver/servos without breaking a sweat:
https://www.amazon.com/GARTT-Model-Airplane-Programming-Required/dp/B06WV9HPKT

@olds97_lss. I did a little run last night. Let the kids see the big truck works. Wife came out and did a couple laps. I also showed them the difference in what a better battery could do. Now I didnt have much steering because of the BEC, this truck moved though with a 6S giving it juice. The motors had a nice purr to them as compared with a NiMH. Honestly. I was given 3 6S packs so I am going to use them. If I can get the parts I may do a swap to a BL. All gearing and bearings will be swapped for that upgrade.

Yeah, 6S would be quite a bump up in voltage over running 2x6cell nimh's. Would be similar to running 3x6cell nimh's, but with more current flow available and high voltage supplied much longer.

Back