Electric Start or Pull Start?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonstrousMikey

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hello all, i have a savage xl and love beating it up. i got to a brand new bashing site after leaving a previous one and my starter battery was dead. nothing puts a damper on your night more than a dead starter battery. with a pull start you dont have to worry about batteries. BUT what i remember when i used to have a pull start engine it was so friggin hard to pull somethimes that i would just give up. its alot easier to just press a button to turn over the engine than to hold the entire truck down and go to town tugging away like a moron. although i really would hate to be stuck with a dead battery on accident. any suggestions? personal experience? thx all ttys

A pull start will be the best starter. It just takes a while to get used to. Once you get the engine all tuned up, it will be a breeze to start.

I've changed to usin a starter box......i connect mine to my car battery monstrousmikey..... or you could always carry a spare lot of batteries with you....

Starterboxes are useless for a Savage, but I am right there with ya'! Love my starter box.
Your best bet is to buy a good quality 6 4200 NiMh pack. With a properly tuned engine I can go weeks on a single charge. A good AC/DC charger helps too, just hook up to your car battery when there is no electricity around.
Pullstarts are the bigggest pain in the ass and when they break your done for the day unless you have a spare.

I know the Team Losi LST XXL comes with a combo Pull/roto start. Maybe there is a combo start that would fit the Savage. That way if the batteries die in the roto start your day's not done.

I gave up on the electric start for my savage x in a few days. Stupid battery goes dead and then ur done. Switched to pullstart and i couldent be happier. It always works and there is no batteries to worry about. I'm on my second one but still is waaaay better than electric start!!!

i dont know bout the savage so i apologise bout that..... i was just statin in general that they are better.... I'm only runnin 2 x 1800maH in my starter box and they suck big time..... gotta upgrade n get something for heavy duty..... i got a caster racing box with a 750 motor in it...... wat are the reccomendations from you guys????

yeah one thing i do not want to do is start buying and storing a ton of batteries thats why i run my savage more than my sprint 2 flux. i never used a starter box before, maybe ill look at some videos. but the roto pull start combo sounds like my kind of deal. he was right about if you break the pull start your dunzo which isnt cool. but like somebody else said with a proper tuned engine its ideal. i can hook up my charger to my car battery for now if my pack goes dead. i doubt they have a roto pull combo for the xl. so sooner or later i guess ill be tuggin away at a pull start :-/ anymore input?

I like pull starts much better I had a ez-start for my t-maxx and hated dealing with the batteries so I switched to a pull start. To help you about the times of being hard to pull I have that promblems sometimes so what I do is the truck on the side with the exhaust and let the old fluid out and then it starts rite up. It just must be that mix between wd-40 and gas that gives it that goopie gunk.

i think i also heard that if your pull start is hard to pull you can loosen the glow plug a little? anyone know if that is factual.

if it is hard to turn the engine over due to high compression then yes, just be sure to tighten it up once you get it started.