electric or pull start...?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitromaxx3.3

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
which is better...electric or pull start? my friends tmaxx needs new starter. my uncle says pull is more reliable... is it true?

thanx

It depends, electric start is more convienient but pull start reduces weight. The pullstart mechanisms are rather unreliable IMO because if the flimsey string. I like elec start and wouldn't do any different. JMO though.

what is the price for a pull or electric conversion?

id go with pull start then you wont have to wait for the batterys to charge thats what i did and i love it

man I have had both, and I have to say it is all in what you like. For me and my disability I will stay with the ez.

I saw a video of two guys on youtube bashing and the guy with ez start started his in like 5 seconds and the other guy (pull start) took about 2 min to start..lol. I really like the ez start system no problems at all. As far as charging batteries I have only charged the battery for the ez start once and that was when I bought the truck 2 monthes ago and it was the cheapest battery from Tower Hobbies. Still has plenty of charge :)

I think EZ-Start is the way to go. I've got pull starts on my other cars and hate 'em.

I have two batteries for my starting wand and always have a spare charged in the tool box. You can easily recharge the second battery in the time it takes to run one down. I'm using 3,000 Mah Ni-Mh batteries and they last a long time.

I'm planning to alter the wiring in the wand to keep the glow plug hot as long as the wand is plugged in so you can preheat the plug before cranking and keep it warm after starting on first startup.

The only downside to the EZ-start I can see is that it takes up room in the fuel tank area limiting you choices for larger fuel tanks. As for the extra weight, bah! Most people add that much extra weight in alloy bits.

I would consider a roto-start or Tiger Drive as a decent alternative.

I have a complete Traxxas EZ-Start system that's for sale. I bought a brand new Revo for my newest race project, and I'm going brushless and LiPo with it, so I sold the nitro motor. I've got the EZ start motor, the wiring harness, and the wand. Basically everything that you'll need, and I'll throw in a nearly brand new battery as well if you need one.

Nitro, I Went With The Easy Start But What I Did Was I Also Have A Glo Plug Lighter That I Use. I Took Off The Blue Wire And I Just Use The Easy Start To Turn The Engine Over And The Glo Plug I Use The Lighter For The Heat It. Starts Better That Way And Saves On The Battries!

i converted my tmaxx 2.5 to pull start and my savage xss k4.6 is also a pull. imo i hate lugging batteries and ez starters around. i also hate have to always charge them and hate having to wory about them dying out in the field. i say pull starts all the way IMO.

yeah thats a pretty common thing. for example all of us do that. well most of us with easy start do. Thats pretty clever that you figured it out on you're own though. I guess thats why they call you CLEVERLAND-MAXX hehehe.

I Kinda Had To I Fliped The Truck Over And The Ground Cut The Blue Wire In Half

oh. Well now you don't seem as clever. Has anybody ever told you to end you're posts 1 sentance sooner, man you would seem smart.

but pull start has an arguement as well. so I guess it is mostly personal preferance. I prefer ez start. Never tried rotostart but I assume it is good too.

FYI, a novice user can actually damage an engine with an Electric start if the engine is hydro locked. I know the Traxxas unit has a method in preventing to turn the engine over if it is.

On the other hand, the pull start is a PITA if you don't know how to to tune. Frustration can easily take control and you break the pullstarter.. I know that from experience.

Personally, bashing doesn't really matter. EZ Start is probably the second best electric start next to the Losi Spin Start.

Would you care to explait that a little more jon2?