Eds stupid Aircraft questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I got a bug up my ass and purchased a air plain kit yesterday.
I have built them before but its been a little over 25 years ago.

It took about an hour before the skill set kicked back in and I'm doing fine. I'm amazed at the job I'm doing. I'm building a Great Planes PT Electric. 3 channel 56" wing span. Kits have come a long way with laser cutting and everything is assembling well. Its much easier then I remember. I have the Fuselage, Fin and stabilizer assembled. It took me about 5 hours to get this far.

Is it worth the money to get a slot cutter or should I just freehand it?

For some reason I can seem to remember much about mono coating. Ill assume I need a iron, anything else?

Any other worthy tools or words of wisdom?

cool project Ed, I don't know anything about building planes but I'd love to see your progress once you get started a little. Hopefully it progresses a little further than that boat eh? :p:

I look at the boat every day trying to get motivated and it doesn't seem to be calling my name. :(

Ill take a few pics and post them later in the day.

Well Ed, you really are branching out. That's cool. I've built a few planes in my day and they are getting easier. Always make sure your glue joints are very sound. The CA's that are out now do a great job of securing the joints and speeding up the process. Always check for square especially on the fuse. blah blah center of gravity blah blah and all that.
As far as covering, definitely get a monokote iron. It's a lot easier then trying to use a cheap clothes iron or anything like that. You'll also need a heat gun to shrink it. Otherwise I think you're fine. As far as a slot cutter, I'm not sure I'd worry too much about it if you're only doing this project. You can do fine with a #11 blade and then CA the hinges in. Just take your time so you don't split the balsa.
The bigger white plane in the pic is my last build. It's a MM Glidertech Illusion hand-launch glider.
15planes-sm.jpg

Hey Ed, glad to see the aircraft bug bit ya. I was into them and the car bug bit. Haven't flew for a year or so now.

I have built several planes and not purchased a slot cutter yet. Including a couple of scatch builts.
You will also need a heat gun for covering. Trim tool helps a lot too. Plenty of x-zato blades.

Just build it straight and get the CG correct and it should fly great. I had 3 nitro PT's before I learned to fly. (Was too hard headed to get help.)
Here is a forum. http://www.rchangout.com/forums/index.php?
Good luck. :cheers:

Great tips.....

Whats a trim tool. I tried to do a search on tower and got zilch.

I was just in the reading room and was looking at the electronics installation. This Hi tech monster only has an on off switch for the motor. Should I get an ESC?

Its also showing wooden push rods with wire on the ends. Should I replace them with piano wire all the way with slider tubing where needed?

I always wanted to buy a plane kit. Maybe someday my nuts will drop. I am anxious to see these pics.

Personally I'm really partial to running with an ESC. Don't see any nitro planes that run only at full throttle, right? I think having a good ESC with a high frame rate will allow you great partial throttle control which should really help maneuvering and landing. The ESC in the foamie you see in the pic above really isn't that great. Anything between 0 and full throttle is really choppy and basically useless so I'd really get a nice ESC for it.

Doesn't come with a ESC?
Well I have to have nitro. Nothing like it. Fumes burning your eyes... Nothing like the sound of a 4-stroke in a scale plane, either. Never wanted an electric till a friend came out with a GWS Tiger Moth.

In my opinion, I think nitro is cheaper. By the time you buy batteries, chargers, ect. You can have a nice .40 size nitro plane and have money left. Just a thought from the peanut gallery.

Eddie, if the plans have on them where you can make it a 4 channel, go for it. Be a lot easier to make the switch to an aircraft you want if you are used to ailerons.

For the ones wanting to try aircraft. Try here. http://www.spadtothebone.com/ Free plans. I built the BUHOR a couple of years ago. I was ashamed to put it on the flightline. One ugly plane!!! Flew great. Hell of a flier! Had about 10 bucks in the airframe. :cheers:

Make sure this one doesn't get a parking spot bext to your chriscraft model boat.

Worked on and off on it today and have the the fuselage and tail section 99% complete.
Got the servos and electronics test fitted and need only to make the push rods before doing final assembly. After that I will start on the wings.

I thought it was weird having only an on and off switch for the throttle but it is only a trainer. I have a Pixie 20 from my helicopter. It should be ok with the 560 motor that came with it shouldint it?

Is it a 560 car size motor? The pixie 20 is good for 20 amps continuous, which may be too small for that motor. What battery are you using?

I did a bit of research on that today. It will most likely be OK but I'm going to get something a bit bigger. The 20 is good for 20 continuous and will take a 30 spike. I have a 3 cell lipo on hand to use for now or I also have some 6 cell car packs I could use.

What esc should I be looking at?
The motor is an ElectriFly T-600 7.2v-9.6v Ferrite.

Heres the specs on the t-600

http://www.electrifly.com/motors/speed600.html

It draws 22 amps, so you will be better off with a 30 amp esc. That will require a big lipo battery. The best lipo's are good for brief loads of 10C, so you will need at least a 2000 mah, 10C discharge-rated lipo. My fav lipos are E-tec, but there are good new lines coming out from kokam and thunderpower too. Another thing to be aware of is that lipos are 3.7 v each. So 2 cells is too low, but 3 celss will burn up the motor pretty fast. You could get some loose nimh or 2400 mah nicads at batterystation.com and making your own 8 cell packs. Then plan on a good brushless system for your next plane.

Use whatever gives you the discharge rate you need with some decent run time. I think the 2400 mah sub c nicads are a good choice. They discharge and charge at a higher rate than nimh and are lighter too. What do the instructions recommend?

Back