EB4 S2 Pro Differentials

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderTiger

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Could somebody just clarify some advice i was given pls.

When working on my buggy (BEFORE it was stolen) i was told to put some 80wt silicone oil in the rear diff and 40 - 50wt in the front.

I tried this on the rear diff and it DID improve the performance.

MY QUESTION IS;

Would this cause any damage to the diff in any way ? or is this an accepted way to lube the diff in place of grease ?

not positive but those weight sound like shock oils to me.....but to answer your question yes the oil is better for your buggy...not neccesarily for lubing purpose but for diff tuning.....most buggy racers typically run 5k or 3k in front, 7,8 or 10k in center and 1,2 or 3k in rear diffs....I run 5-7-1 myself...this allows your diff to slip more in the rear so it doesn't power the back around the front making it spin out.....the higher the the weight the more it will acted like a locked diff and prevent slipping....

Hmmm.......

Thanks for that, the only thing is, where do i get those kind of weight oils from ? Also, i like the fact i can spin the buggie round as its a good "Get out of trouble in a bad situation" thing.

you still have on power rear steer...you really don't want a locked rear as these will over power from the rear end way more than a 1:1 car will....try different weights to see what you like....just keep the basic theory of center needs more "lock" than front/rear and front needs more than rear......some guys run 5-5-5 and like it too....I keep thinking I'll try it but never get around to it.....try Towerhobbies for oil...just search diff oil....

Err......... slight problem here plaidfish, remember i had my buggy pinched on monday. I'm trying to find out what i can NOW so i know what to do when i get my new one two weeks from now. As for the center differential, it is a solid axle with a plastic main gear as standard, which i prefer to the center diff that i had on my EB3 (Before i sold it to finance the one that got pinched on monday)

OHHH YES ! The plastic main gear, talk about a pain in the Backside, i stripped four of the things before i found that the engine mounts kept working loose. Nothing a bit of thread lock didnt cure though, oh and the £12 for the four new main gears aswell.

Plaidfish, r u UK or US based ?

US based....humidid S Hell...I mean Florida....well when U get your new buggy you got a lil more knowledge to kick around w/......and if you can at least get a slingshot w/ some marbles to nail the lil bastards if they try to steal number 2.......or get a nice staffordshire terrier......"No oficer that's not a pit bull, it's a terrier" :D

Not my style, i prefer lead shot pellet guns, more damage and loads quicker, plus they not illigal (YET) dependant on bore size of the barrel. Good idea bout the dog, but i dont think it would help my cats too much !!