E-Savage Diff help needed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderTiger

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Here goes...............

I Recently "bit the bullet" and made a change from nitro (well, i bought 2 nitro revo's in the same deal) for the time being as it's more of an "instant" grin, iand i can run at wierd hours of the night without annoying neighbours.

Wednesday: Bought a USED E-Savage (well, paid for and collected as the deal had been made 6 weeks ago).

Thursday: quick 7 minute run on almost dead batteries, all went ok without a problem

Roll round to today, 4:47am to 5:03am, running in the "bash field" near to where i live. Getting near to the end of the batteries charge and...........click, clunk....clunk...clunk. Front wheels spin like crazy after trying to start from a standing stop. Are main drive shafts are all ok ? yes.......are wheel drive shafts ok ? yes. ok, back home, strip out rear end.

Open rear diff and wht do i find ?? SMASHED spider gears :angry::angry:.

This is where i need the help and i have 3 questions.

1) Is it possible to get just the spider gears on their own ? the "Main" gears are ok. from the searches i have made, all i can find are "Sets" of diff gears.

2) Should i upgrade the diffs for stronger ones ? i have the original diffs with the 2 spider gears, versus the newer units with 4 spider gears.

3) will other savage diffs, say from the nitro versions, fit the diff housing/trans case of the E-Savage ?

Given all the above, and the fact i am running REVO wheels (same size hex) should i fit the newer style diffs (4 spider gear type) with an aluminium (aluminum) casing ??

Thanx ahead of time to any and all who can help.

Well I have not actually seen the internals of an E-Savage, but the diffs are much smaller than the nitro bigger brother. Now I have "heard" that with a very little bit of modding you can get the E-Maxxs diffs to work. As far as the parts go I was only able to find entire diffs or the external gears and the case. All of which do you no good. However, there is one hope, my local hobby shop carries a lot of stuff that is not available anywhere else. I may take a bit of a hop over there tomorrow and see if they have just the gears. Other than that the next best thing was an entire diff for around 18 quid on rcplanet.

if you just replace the spiders, you are just going to be replacing them again soon. I haven't seen anyone put nitro diffs in since the bulkheads are significantly smaller on the e-savage. Your best bet is to get the twin diffs from www.gcmachine.ca They have unbreakable spiders with aluminum cups. The only problem now is that the ring gear becomes the weak point. I ran the full ex-arm/cvd setup so maybe you will just pop driveshafts instead of ring gears.

Or just keep a stock of gearsets.

cheers joey,

i just had a look on the flea, £13 + just for a complete gear set. :angry: not what i call cheap, by a long chalk.

Not happy about having to replace parts so soon (only 2 days). i thought these things were supposed to be durable. Obviously not.

Well for the more spendy route is by Fast Lane Machine and it is a conversion to be able to use nitro diffs and bulkheads
http://www.fastlanemachine.com/PublicPortal/ElectricProducts/ESavage/tabid/93/Default.aspx
E-SAVAGE TO NITRO CONVERSION

* Machined from billet 6061 aluminum
* Tired of breaking driveline components? Then this is the kit.
* Machined to accept Nitro Savage bulks and drive train components
* Still retains E-Savage tranny

FLM62000
$99.00 per kit

flm_savage, Thank you, i'm having a look now.

Joey, Thank you too.

$99 ??? is that all ?? thats about (quick math) £70 GBP

There abouts yes, then shipping....ugh...I hate to think what they would charge. But then again the tyres only cost £10 to ship.....

I found a E-Savage forum that has a lot of cool ideas you may want to look in to.
http://e-savage.com/forums/

hmmm...........i'm beginning to wonder if i should just get the diff repaired and get it gone. I bought it for my missus, now she's not interested. She was all up for it, then...........not interested. I have to many rigs to deal with as it is, i dont need another headache rig.

I think maybe that i might just go with repairing the diff and selling it on. good idea or bad idea ? i have two revo's aswell, maybe i should sell them on also.

Last edited:
i have the e-savage as well and although i havent busted a diff yet i have twisted an axle already. but its typical HPI. they did the same with the nitro savage. it started with the 2 spyder diff and plastic cup, then 4 spyder, then metal cup. they will fix it eventually.

thanks beason, you just made my mind up for me, i'm fixing and selling.

If thats HPI quality, i am getting out now before i pour a bucket and more of money into the thing.

dont get me wrong, hpi is great stuff. they make some of the toughest rigs available. they have just always had issues with the diffs, and the steering servos, of there MT's it was the same with the nitro savage.

your gonna sell? lmk when your ready, i love mine, may be interested in a twin.

Back