E Revo vxl 1/16 issues?????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

806mastadon

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
?????????I recently put on a heat sink on my e Revo and of course the thermal paste went everywhere cleaned it up somewhat but was more worried about it going in to the verillion motor vent. And so far none that I can tell. Forward about three hours. I hooked up two nimh batteries wired in a series for a little more power Ram great the first run but didn’t kill the batteries when it started acting weird. I get a massive whining sound now. Have looked at the car eyes only. And there’s nothing obstructing the drive train, motor, or suspension. Motor is a quite warm but nothing like it used to be before the heat sink.

Note. Car is driven in fine dirt of the panhandle of Texas. If this matters.

Now I charge my batteries back up and then it only lasted 1 maybe a minute and a half and then quit had no more power. At all. Tried another set of batteries that were apparently charged 100% Same thing. Only about 1:30 2 minutes. Usually I can get a really good 10-12 minute run Batteries aren’t hot. ESC isn’t hot and motor spinning good.

What’s going on. Beside “maybe” to much dirt in the system??????????????!

It sounds like the gear mesh between the spur and pinion is a bit too tight.

Spur gear, transmission gears is my guess.

So losses up the moto of the spur gear a little bit?
Lossen the motor’’’’
Take a strip of notebook paper. Mash it between the pinion and spur and tighten the motor screws. And when tightening the motor screws, don't just tighten one all the way down before getting the other snug. I do it in stages. Lightly snug each screw. Then go back and forth tightening each just a bit more. This will seat the motor more squarely, and prevent you from putting too much or too little pinch on the paper.

When done, rotate a full revolution of the spur to make sure there are no tight or loose spots, which would show runnout (non concentric rotation) of the spur gear.

Last edited:
Take a strip of notebook paper. Mash it between the pinion and spur and tighten the motor screws. And when tightening the motor screws, don't just tighten one all the way down before getting the other snug. I do it in stages. Lightly snug each screw. Then go back and forth tightening each just a bit more. This will seat the motor more squarely, and prevent you from putting too much or too little pinch on the paper.

When done, rotate a full revolution of the spur to make sure there are no tight or loose spots, which would show runnout (non concentric rotation) of the spur gear.
Only one screw though
Just like a tire I understand
But it’s just one screw

Ok. I'm not familiar with your kit. Some are different that others. Pics would help.
I got it going. Took off the esc motor and receiver gave it a bath. Cracked the front and back diff open and both are fine. I wonder if the whining was the esc saying I’m hot?
Figured out the battery problem aswell