E-Revo 2.0 Brushless Upgrade Thoughts on Castle Creations

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyboy33

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Was curious for those who have upgraded their E-Revo 2.0 Brushless to the Castle Creations 1515Y 2200KV Motor and Monster X ESC and what are your thoughts on it? I was looking at Part # 010-0145-03

Was curious for those who have upgraded their E-Revo 2.0 Brushless to the Castle Creations 1515Y 2200KV Motor and Monster X ESC and what are your thoughts on it? I was looking at Part # 010-0145-03
Love it I put that set up in my Emaxx build plenty of power all day👍👍
Running it on 4s and it's awesome. And the sensore wire comes with the combo as well. Which is added bonus

Last edited:
The MMX and 2200kv motor are one of the best 1/8 scale esc/motor combos out there. I believe the 2200kv motor that comes in the E-Revo 2.0 VXL is a 1515 rebrand already.

I can't tell you about that set up, but can tell they are a reliable product. I bought a 1/8 street racing ofna with a 1/10 7700. I had that system in my stampede, 10.2, and 2 trx minis. The on off switch came off a few times, so I braded the wires. The bolts came loose on a dusty run, the whole inside coated. I had it slip out of the zip tie and head band for who knows how long.

2007 mamba, still kickin it. I want a few more, one being for one of my tmaxx and ofna.

3m double sided tape. I also got the RPM castle esc cage. Never had the esc move or anything also has a place for the on/off switch... very good cage. I taped down the cage and taped down the esc to to cage. Solid as a rock in the emaxx

3m double sided tape. I also got the RPM castle esc cage. Never had the esc move or anything also has a place for the on/off switch... very good cage. I taped down the cage and taped down the esc to to cage. Solid as a rock in the emaxx
I did. It broke lose so I zip tied. It ended with me zip tie and double sided taping it. Its a 2007 esc still on 2 poles, way before cages, and no mounting tabs.

On my new esc, that and a fan are on the list.

On my new esc, that and a fan are on the list.
The newer ones come with the fan and are built solid.. yea they didn't have much options back in 07.. it was tape and zips... and hope for the best... but the castle stayed strong threw out it all. That's all that matters rite... 👍👍 castle for the win👍👍

I ran that setup in my savage flux hp and now I run it in my maxx4s.

My first e-revo was the v1 with the MXL-6S/2200kv "castle" system, which was a Mamba Monster 2 and their unsensored 1515 2200kv motor. I ran it on 4S for 3 years or so. I wanted to run 6S without worrying about diffs, so I got a 2.0 slider and moved it over to that. Not sure why, but it died on my 3rd bash. The ESC just fried. Up until then, the motor did run warm as did the esc, but I was geared pretty conservatively. I ended up putting a max6 and arrma blx4074 2050kv in it with a dual fan cooler and a high velocity 35mm alloy framed fan in the esc. It's been pretty bulletproof. With Backflip MT's I run 21/54 gearing in it all day long in grass without overheating.

I sold the savage when I got the maxx, but I kept the motor/esc (MMX/1515 sensored 2200kv) to put in the maxx. I started with 4S and now run 6S. It seems to run hot, both the motor and ESC. If I didn't already have them, I'd have gone with the max8/2200kv combo, or the max6 and find a decent 4074 2000kv for it.

If you want to run hard, I'd go with the max6 and find a decent <2000kv 4074 motor for it. There's also a guy on facebook that makes motor plates so you can mount a longer and/or larger OD motor from the front pretty cheap, so you could drop the max6/4985 1650kv combo in it.

I ran that setup in my savage flux hp and now I run it in my maxx4s.

My first e-revo was the v1 with the MXL-6S/2200kv "castle" system, which was a Mamba Monster 2 and their unsensored 1515 2200kv motor. I ran it on 4S for 3 years or so. I wanted to run 6S without worrying about diffs, so I got a 2.0 slider and moved it over to that. Not sure why, but it died on my 3rd bash. The ESC just fried. Up until then, the motor did run warm as did the esc, but I was geared pretty conservatively. I ended up putting a max6 and arrma blx4074 2050kv in it with a dual fan cooler and a high velocity 35mm alloy framed fan in the esc. It's been pretty bulletproof. With Backflip MT's I run 21/54 gearing in it all day long in grass without overheating.

I sold the savage when I got the maxx, but I kept the motor/esc (MMX/1515 sensored 2200kv) to put in the maxx. I started with 4S and now run 6S. It seems to run hot, both the motor and ESC. If I didn't already have them, I'd have gone with the max8/2200kv combo, or the max6 and find a decent 4074 2000kv for it.

If you want to run hard, I'd go with the max6 and find a decent <2000kv 4074 motor for it. There's also a guy on facebook that makes motor plates so you can mount a longer and/or larger OD motor from the front pretty cheap, so you could drop the max6/4985 1650kv combo in it.
Yeah I saw that savage wish I was here when you posted I would have bought it 🤣🤣.. the HW max line has been cutting out on people during their runs. Mid jumps on back flips and what not. I wouldn't go with the hobby wings till they figure out the issue. Been happening in quite a few YT videos. All a sudden the guys like oohh esc cut out. Might have fixed it but haven't heard anybody saying they did.. but after they always ended up back with the castle... plus castle doesn't use rubber sealed bearings which causes resistances. And less power

Yeah I saw that savage wish I was here when you posted I would have bought it 🤣🤣.. the HW max line has been cutting out on people during their runs. Mid jumps on back flips and what not. I wouldn't go with the hobby wings till they figure out the issue. Been happening in quite a few YT videos. All a sudden the guys like oohh esc cut out. Might have fixed it but haven't heard anybody saying they did.. but after they always ended up back with the castle... plus castle doesn't use rubber sealed bearings which causes resistances. And less power
I haven't come across any issues with the HW esc's. I run 3 of them, 2 max6's and a max10 sct (for over a year). My buddy runs 3 or 4, max10 sct, max8 in his maxx4s, max6's in a kraton, max5 in his xmaxx and limitless I believe and another runs the max6 in his kraton as well. We've never had any issues.

I haven't come across any issues with the HW esc's. I run 3 of them, 2 max6's and a max10 sct (for over a year). My buddy runs 3 or 4, max10 sct, max8 in his maxx4s, max6's in a kraton, max5 in his xmaxx and limitless I believe and another runs the max6 in his kraton as well. We've never had any issues.
I believe the issue was supposed to be with the MAX6 specifically in the Xmaxx. Thats my understanding anyway. I own neither a MAX6 or an Xmaxx so 🤷‍♂️

Didn't say they all did it. Plus when did you buy them? They probably not brand new.. I think it's people trying to over power them honestly. It's not everyone and every HW esc. It's just something I've seen and heard on YT and in messaging with the people on YT.. sorry wasn't trying to say all HW's were doing that man.
I believe the issue was supposed to be with the MAX6 specifically in the Xmaxx. Thats my understanding anyway. I own neither a MAX6 or an Xmaxx so 🤷‍♂️
It's more the max5. But it's has happened with some of the max6 as well
I think it's more of under or over power issue. Then the esc it self. In my opinion. I don't own any HW so I personally don't know or have experience with them... I thought about the max6 in the X running the stock motor. Heard good things about that set up. Because the Traxxas electronics SUCK by far... and I'm sure we all can agree on that one👍👍👍

My buddy did actually have issues with either the max6 or max8 with the traxxas receiver. But it was more of a calibration issue, he couldn't get it to calibrate right. Eventually just got another spektrum receiver for his DX5C Rugged, then it was fine.

My buddy did actually have issues with either the max6 or max8 with the traxxas receiver. But it was more of a calibration issue, he couldn't get it to calibrate right. Eventually just got another spektrum receiver for his DX5C Rugged, then it was fine.
Oh thats interesting.. glad he got it running and calibrated.

Back