E-maxx first gen 1 3906

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoSlow

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So this thing has been collecting dust for at least 10 years in my garage, it was given to me so I don't know anything about them besides reading online..

I'd like to keep it as stock as possible because I don't want to throw to much money at it but I will buy better parts to make it more durable..
So first thing I need is axles since two are broken I have been reading about swaping to the E-maxx 3908 or 3905 since the a arms are wider and it's easier to get stronger axles and knuckles..
This must be the first version since it's narrow and has the vx12 speed controller. I read that the vx12 was a recall but 20 years ago would that recall still be valid?... Not even sure what was so bad about them but I'll keep it for now just to see if this thing fires up since controllers aren't cheap..
Since I'm planning on keeping it mostly as is what batteries do you guys recommend for the two titan 550s ? I know battery technology has come a long way in 20 years so what's the recommended battery and charger ..

I may be forgetting something but if anyone has any recommendations maybe links to things I should buy please post it up especially the batteries I have no idea what this thing can handle as is...

All this is new to me so bare with me thanks

Those emaxxs ran a couple 2000 cell packs commonly. Actually I remember those coming with a Novak esc I believe. Lipo compatibility? Not sure. Seems like it be much easier fix to just put stock parts that are broken but that's why You want to upgrade because it broke. Good luck with It, neat Truck.

IMG_20220119_082544_620.jpg
IMG_20220119_082615_801.jpg
IMG_20220119_082553_092.jpg
IMG_20220119_082632_511.jpg
IMG_20220119_082625_708.jpg

I see the traxxas esc, the absolute first ones had an orange esc from memory. Anyway Somebody else might have answers on the broken part and upgrade.

Welcome to the site. Traxxas has a program where you send in an electronic part or motor, and they will sell you current new items for a lesser price.
I would call or email them first as they have more then the picture I linked.

https://traxxas.com/powerup

The Emaxx has been discontinued. Tmaxx 2.5 is compatible with 3906. The tmaxx 3.3 is comparible with 3905 and 3908. All parts are interchangeable except tranny parts and chassis that I know of.

If it were me, id get a few transmission gears and maybe a chassis or two.

Below is a link to the exploded view.

https://sites.google.com/site/tinysmaxx/traxxas-assembly/e-maxx-3906

4930 or 4929 appear to be the broken bulkhead, depending on if its front or rear.

4951x looks to be the broken half shaft.

Rpm racing make hopup parts of plastic.
Robinson racing has transmission goodies.
You can order traxxas parts off their site if youd like.

Proline and other companies sell tmaxx 2.5 bodies, it should be a perfect match with the chassis when its time for a new one.