Dynamite big red doesn't fit my red cat earthquake 3.5.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filthy101

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking for a truck or truggy that'll take the big red .28. I did a bunch of customizing to get it in my redcat earthquake 3.5 but it's just not gonna work. I'd hate to sell the engine as I've heard some awesome reviews. Any thoughts would be great.

most any 1/8 scale trucks, buggies, truggies, etc (there are some exceptions like really old kyosho and the Redcat Earthquake) that uses a big block should fit the big red, if i am remembering correctly the earthquake uses a threaded shaft on their engines, as well as some old kyosho, which are the ones it wont fit.
if you are unsure when looking at one, it might be easier to post the rig you are looking at and get a better idea if it is compatible or not

Thanks for the reply man. yes the earthquake 3.5 comes with a threaded shaft. The big red wont line up properly with the existing spur gear. I didn't realize the shaft style would matter but now it makes sense. Thanks again.

yeah the Earthquake has the "small flywheel" on it that pushes it out further, dont really know why they would have done that, i know the platform initially started with a .18 small block that used a similar setup, which is common on small blocks.
curious though, would there be a possiblity to maybe drill new slotted holes for the engine mount closer to the spur assembly to make it work? or is there clearance issues that wont allow that?

yeah the Earthquake has the "small flywheel" on it that pushes it out further, dont really know why they would have done that, i know the platform initially started with a .18 small block that used a similar setup, which is common on small blocks.
curious though, would there be a possiblity to maybe drill new slotted holes for the engine mount closer to the spur assembly to make it work? or is there clearance issues that wont allow that?
Man that is a good idea, I’m gonna check the spacing on the engine to see if there’s enough space, I could maybe slot the chassis if there’s not enough meat on the engine. Thanks man.

I would slot/drill new holes in the chassis engine mount holes over modifying the engine or engine mount itself, make sure for clearances for the brake disk and anything else that my interfere. another idea is to maybe look at TLR clutchbells as they typically stick out further than most others.

Last edited:
What ever you do don't drill or slot the chassis . You will regret it and make junk. You should have known your truck use a full threaded crank shaft and replace it with the same. You just can't drop any engine in a old truck and make it work. The new engines today use a pilot crank shaft. completely different. The only option you have is adjustable motor mounts. Carson Specter 1:8 Buggy Motor Mounts Engine Mount 500205694 CS1® 745495867522 | eBay and a new flywheel and clutch nut. This will move the motor forward. It may work or not. You can't use the old flywheel if it has a offset back. If it doesn't work then you will have to find a new 1/8 motor with a full threaded crank shaft. Adding the clutch pilot nut makes the crankshaft longer. The new engines removed the clutch pilot shaft.

Last edited:
I would slot/drill new holes in the chassis engine mount holes over modifying the engine or engine mount itself, make sure for clearances for the brake disk and anything else that my interfere. another idea is to maybe look at TLR clutchbells as they typically stick out further than most others.
So it looks like there's enough room to slot the chassis but I'd have to do it by hand as I dont currently own a drill press which has a lot of potential for mistakes. I ended up just buying a a replacement engine & will keep an eye out for a different truck i can use the big red in.

Back