Dying RPM parts.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmosGoat

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got a set of RPM arms and want to dye them. I know to use Rit dye but I'm not sure were to start with time. Do i start with 10 min or an hour?

From RPM's site:

All RPM nylon parts can be dyed with outstanding results! This includes parts that are natural white, yellow, blue, etc. The key to remember is that you can only dye a part darker than its current color. For example, a yellow part can be dyed orange, red, green ,blue, purple, etc., yet a blue part can only be dyed a darker shade of blue, dark purple or black.
To get started, simply boil some water, add some Rit™ clothing dye of the color you want the parts to be to the boiling water (start with a small amount of dye and add more later if the parts don't reach the desired color depth - don't forget to remove the parts from the solution before adding more dye), and then place your new RPM dyeable parts in the water. Be sure that the dye is completely saturated in the water before adding your parts! The depth and shade of the color will vary depending on time left in the water/dye solution, the amount of dye used, and the temperature of the water. Usually, higher concentrations of dye darken the color of the parts faster, as will higher water temperatures. Use caution because the parts will look lighter in color when first removed from the hot water. When the color looks close, but still slightly lighter than what you want, remove the parts from the water/dye solution and let them cool. They will darken slightly after cooling. If they aren't quite dark enough at this point, place them back in the solution for a brief time until the color is to the tint of your choice.
Important note: To make all of your parts identical in color, either dye all of them at the same time, or take careful notes during the dyeing process such as;
1) Water temperature (i.e. fast boil, slow simmer, etc.).
2) Amount of dye and water used.
3) Type and manufacturer of the dye.
4) Time the parts spent in the dye solution.
Additionally: Because this is a dyeing process of the parts, and not a plating process, the dye will have absolutely no effect on the adhesive bond when tires are glued to our dyeable wheels.
Click here to see some of the creative results we found using Rit clothing dye and RPM chrome parts!

Or:

Plastic parts are easily colored with fabric dye found at department stores, supermarkets, drugstores and fabric stores. "Rit"-brand clothing dye offers a good array of colors, and you can find it at most supermarkets. Rit makes liquid and powder dyes; both work well for our nu moses.

You will need an old cooking pot to mix and boil the dye in (don't cook in it thereafter). If a suitable pot is not available, you could use a coffee can placed in a "good" pot, but the best bet is to buy a cheap pot to use just for dye. To easily remove small parts from the dye, just string them like an R/C necklace on a length of twine. Ever wonder what to do with those chopsticks you get with Chinese take-out or sushi? If you can't eat with them, balance them across the top of the pot and hang the small-parts string from them; use them to stir the dye, too. When you've finishedtoss 'em!

You will need a heat source-typically the kitchen stove. I have been banned from the kitchen after spilling black dye on the stove and floor, so I use a hot plate in the workshop!

Start by getting your parts ready. Make sure they are clean and free of grease, oil and other contaminants. Tie the small parts together with a loose loop so that they move freely and the dye can get between each part. The string should be long enough to hang from the chopsticks that will rest across the top of the pot. For smaller parts and those you can't string together, use the "foot" of an old pair of pantyhose to make a bag (you have pantyhose in your toolbox, right? Uh, me neither). Put the small parts in the nylon "bag," and tie a knot on the end to prevent them from floating out.

IN THE MIX

Next, prepare the dye/water mixture in a pot or coffee can. For liquid black, use 2 to 4 ounces of dye to 3 or 4 cups of water. With powder black, use about 1/2 to a full tablespoon to 3 or 4 cups of water.

For any other color, start with about half as much dye or less. Test the color on a small part first. The more dye you use, the darker the color will be; and the longer you leave the part in the dye, the darker the color will be. Set the burner on "high," stir the mixture while you bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to "medium high."

TAKE THE PLUNGE

Ease the nylon parts into the dye carefullydon't splash. When you submerge large parts such as wheels and battery trays, don't let any air bubbles accumulate because they cause uneven coloring. When you use black dye, leave the part in for about 5 minutes. With any other color, especially if you wish to keep it light, check the parts within the first 30 seconds. Check the small parts by pulling up the string. Use chopsticks, tongs or pliers to remove and check the large parts. When they're the desired hue, carefully remove them (no splashing!) and rinse immediately in clean water or the color may be uneven.

After you've rinsed the parts, dry them with a paper towel. And remember, if you don't like the color of your dyed parts, you can always dye them all black!

Is it ok to let the parts sit on the bottom of the pot or should they always be suspended?

I don't see where sitting on the bottom will affect the color. Good luck and post up some pictures when you are done!