Duratrax war head

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Just wondered if any one has used one of these and what they though? How they compare to a savage x?

Thanks

It was one of my first RCs. Great little truck. If you have one or buy one....get the EVO upgrade for it. It's worth it. I have a bin of new parts for a Warhead still actually. Who knows...maybe I'll buy another one someday....

It's a rip off of a Savage...so they are similar, but the Savage is more durable from what I hear...and the stock engine in the Warhead kinda sucks, but good overall truck.

I did not have such good luck with mine. I found the plastic was brittle and was always breaking something. The stock engine left MUCH to be wanted for. Now it was not ALL bad...for a MT it did handle pretty good. It was nimble for it's size and weight but over all I was not happy with the product material quality. Oh yeah...also...you can't use a standard roto start with one. That was a huge PITA back then. If it had better plastic I would say it would have been a lot better truck. I went with a better engine then the tranny shelled...sigh. Good times. I am happier with my Savages....sacrifice a little handling for a ton of brute toughness.

Well I got it cause it was a super cheap deal, even trade for something I don't use anymore.. But I'm trying to get it started and it won't fire.

No idea why... And it's becoming annoying lol

The Thunder Tiger engine in the Warhead was a terrible engine in my experience. I had horrible luck with it. I had to change mine out with about a half gallon on it becuase it was weak and did not wanna run for me. I swapped out the engine...then I started breaking stuff....lol

I had and did a complete rebuild on one. With the EVO version,the plastic parts seemed better but the engine was still a turd. Later they tried some more changes and renamed it the RTX-27. The engine was quite a bit better but still nothing to brag about. Overall,they are not a terrible first truck IMO.

Well....what is it doing? When I first got mine...I was trying to start it using a drill. Found out later it didn't spin fast enough. Try new glow plug, new fuel, reset it to factory tune...etc etc etc

Assuming it has compression it should fire up if you spin it fast enough.

Give us an idea of what it's doing...and maybe we can help.

So a drill won't do the trick eh?
I will try the above and see what happens

What's factory for this little bugger

A 110 volt drill should do the trick. A cordless may not. What kind of ignitor are you using? Alkaline or rechargeable? As Moto said, tell us what you've done so far to try and start it.

I was using a cordless drill the first time I tried. It was decently fast, but not fast enough to crank the RotoStart to the point of making it fire. I brought it to my local hobby shop (since I was a n00b) and he had it running within 3 minutes flat. My drill was too slow. A corded one should be OK I would imagine....

If you need a RotoStart...let me know. I think I have 1 or 2 sitting in a box somewhere. I also have a BUNCH of warhead parts leftover if you need any...including brand new chassis side rails.

Ok, if your engine wont start, try this:

Remove glow plug and plug it into the ignitor to check if its getting red hot
then whilst the glow plug is still out, get a Hairdryer, or heatgun, and point it in the top of the heatsink, on the top of the engine, and slowly pull the pulstart, or turn the engine over whichever way you choose. put the glow plug back in, and slightly over prime it. it may be a bit hard to turn over, but it will start that way, if not then there is a major problem.
hope it helped :D

well i gave it back to the guy, took it to the lhs and the engine was pooped, and luckily the tradee was a cool dude and swapped back so i am now on the lookout for a savage

thanks all

and motogod, i am looking into a roto start for my savage, but i think shipping from there wouldnt make it worth it,lol thanks!!!

Back