dumb 2.5 question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

th3j3sus

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i bought a trx 2.5 off craigslist and i can't seem to get it to start, i feel it doesn't have much compression but i am also comparing it to a 5.9 big block. my main question is that i bought a new piston and sleeve along with the o-ring kit for the carb, should i get anything else for rebuilding this motor and is there any tips for rebuilding it? i set everything to factory and it seems to wanna start but bogs instantly. installed a new glowplug yesterday but it didnt seem to help much. Its retarded but to get it to fire yesterday i pretty much had to flood the engine to the point that fuel was spitting out the carb. i left the glow plug on for 20 sec n then tried to start it. It fired up but went full throttle and then stalled. the fuel tank and lines are in good working order.

You might need to seel the engine, there might be an air leak...

Were you sure to install the piston in the correct direction? Cutout on the piston skirt faces the front/carb side of the engine. The oil hole in the bottom of the con rod also should face the front.

I did not check for leaks, what would be best? Soap and water? I didnt install the new piston and sleeve yet thinkin this may be a easy fix n jus have that as a spare. I dont see fuel leaking out anywhere around the carb and exaust port.

i just sealed my 3.3. i used high temp rtv gasket sealer. i put it around the carb, the backplate, the header pipe where it bolts to the engine and the fuel inlet port and hsn needle valve.

heres a good video on how to check for air leaks-

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epEGetU7NFU"]How to test a nitro engine for air leaks - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
thanks, i will tackle that tomorrow. i dont exactly know what you mean with sealing the lsn, how would i go by doing that?

So i was watching a video on youtube from thetoys about sealing a engine n he was using some poop he was calling green goop. What is it? Lol he used it to seal the lsn and whatnot

yea, most people just use rtv gasket sealent. you can get it at autozone, o'reily's, advance autoparts, etc....

Lucky seven works very well, and you don't have to dis-assemble the engine to use it.

Is there any kinda stuff i could pick up at a autopart place for thethe lsn needle along with the gasket seal i need?

Is there any kinda stuff i could pick up at a autopart place for thethe lsn needle along with the gasket seal i need?

yes just get some high temp rtv silicone gasket sealent.

And i just put that on the threads of the lsn when i pull it out?

No! LOL, Use di-electric grease or associated green slime on needle o-rings.
The rtv is for sealing the backplate, carb thoat, and carb pinch bolt.

So i put a new sleeve and piston in and sealed the entire engine along with a oring kit from traxxas for the carb. i tried to start it and it would not fire. the glow plug is new, it sounds like it wants to but just can't. Can anyone help me out with this?

Make sre the needles are at default and warm it up with a hair dryer first.