Driving questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gundragon

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Ok, I have been doing some video surfing of people driving and jumping thier R/C's and in some of them I noticed that it looks like when they jump the truck it looks as if the nose goes up and looks like it is about to hit tail first, but then I see the body straighten out and land on all four wheels. I would like to know how people do this and also how to you do wheelies? I have a lot of practicing to do but would like to know how to do some of the driving I have been watching. Expecially getting the "big air" jumps I am seeing. Thanks!

I drop the front of the vehicle you tap the brakes or if the front is too low give it some throttle. To do wheelies you can tighten the slipper and/or reverse alittle then go forward but it can hurt the truck. You can also go for a faster system like brushless and lipo and do wheelies at half throttle.

Thanks Honda! I will keep that in mind. Expecially the throttling when the nose heads down and breaks when it is going tail first. Appreciate that!

I find that tapping the throttle to about 10 mph and braking, then immediately punching the throttle will hop the front end up. I guess it kinda clears out any excess fuel from the engine for the instant torque needed for wheelies. The compression of the front springs from braking helps to hop it up, too, I guess.

The jumping advice is spot on. Braking while in the air will drop the nose. Throttle while in the air will raise the nose. It'll become pretty easy once you do it a few times.

Wheelies are a different beast. It depends on the chassis and powerplant. I have always set my MT's up with a stiff rear suspension and a relatively tight slipper to try to concentrate all the engine torque to the wheels. Shift whatever weight you can to the back of the chassis. If you're trying to do it with a nitro, engine tuning will make a huge difference. If you have it tuned sluggish, you won't be able to get that instant power needed to get the wheels up.

Well, i got the tune just right and when i hit the throttle it'll just pop up.

To me, wheelies are all about power. If the suspension is setup somewhere close, then with a nice brushless setup it takes everything you've got NOT to wheelie. Once you get a brushless setup on your slash, you just pull the trigger at 20 mph and it will flip over backwards.

The other guys have covered the jumping advice. Once you start driving your RC's, you'll get a feel. Also, the more powerful the engine, the more that you'll be able to correct a bad jump with the throttle. The guys with the stock slash's were having trouble controlling the jumps with throttle, but the guy said that even the big slash was easy to control with a brushless system in it, one tap of the throttle brought the front end up in the air. With your electric, be careful with the advice that cupooterluvr gave. He has a nitro, and that kind of driving will be hard on your electric RC.

Thank you for the information everyone! I appreciate it! I cannot get mine to do a wheelie at the moment, but I have not messed with anything really due to I am not sure what I am doing yet. So it maybe a while for that, but as for the jumping I think that will be really handy this weekend since I plan on heading to my local track to try it out there.

Back