Drag Build - Learning by doing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nineball

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi everybody! I'm new here. Been around the arrma forums and r/rccars for a bit, but I needed to find a place to pick some brains about my other cars. So here we go...

Back in May, I picked up a brushed bandit and proceeded with the slash LCG conversion.
20200510_132936.jpg

It was so pretty back then...

The big local races are sponsored by DE Racing, so their tires were the next step.
20200607_152951.jpg

Even with the most aggressive gearing, it wasn't going to be competitive at the track with the Titan 12t, so I ripped the Max10 SCT and 4600kv out of my converted Senton and went off to the track.
20200614_103615.jpg

It did... okay. Except having a 3660 motor hanging out of the traxxas transmission put a lot of weight on the left side, and it was impossible to get a straight run. Not to mention, it was crazy windy, and cars were flying off the track at random. So I went back to the drawing board.

I'm lucky enough to live around AFX/BBE, so I picked up a shortened front shock tower from their drag chassis kit.
20200629_172530.jpg

Next was a better power system. I didn't want to be a member of the Castle Chorus, and VXL's are expensive for such a mediocre setup... so in the interest of being different, I picked up a Hobbywing 10bl120 and a Surpass Hobby v2 5.5t. The 540-sized motor solved the weight distribution issue. Cue up the wheelie issue. You can't steer when your front wheels aren't on the ground.

So I came up with a way to cram in some extra weight and solve an aero issue at the same time. Just some 1/4" pvc sheeting bolted to the chassis and an upside-down wide rustler RPM bumper.
20200722_205333.jpg

I've since added a few grams of weight to the front and took off the wheelie bar... I don't even need it anymore.

But now I have a new problem... Brown outs. Thought it was the servo, went back to the weak traxxas 6065. Still cuts out. I've done some research and calculating... seems like I might need stronger batteries. If I understand it correctly (according to the calculators on script asylum), I need double the battery output my Powermax 4200 and Lectron Pro 5200 have. It seems they put out about 180A and I'm calling for 340A on a launch. It sounds like I need a 70+c battery. I could be way off, though... it wouldn't be the connectors, would it? I'm running EC3 (Dean's on the powermax with an adapter), but there aren't a lot of EC5 2s batteries (which seems... pointless?), so I'm not sure if that's really a bottleneck. Is this a case for a Glitch Buster?

...and that's where I'm at for now. This winter, I'm hoping to put a new body on it. I'm not sure what else to do with it, besides working out the bugs... but I'm not interested in running the exact same car again next race season, so I guess we'll see what happens...

after fully reading your post . I misunderstood brown out.. If you batteries can not supply the amperage of what your esc motor wants then I see why a battery will fix your brown out,I have a drag car thats setup with a 1250 amp esc and it draws that much I also have a 2 turn tops brushed motor in it .its a beast at up to 118mph in the 132 feet we run...id go with a battery that meets your motor and esc needs + some...

Last edited:
no glitch buster what you need is a ubec..remove center wire on esc /rx plug . hookup ubec to battery to esc wires and your done .new batteries wont help

That... just doesn't sound right. Maybe I misunderstand the point to a UBEC. I'm reading a lot about high voltages, I'm only running 2s. So a UBEC would just do the same as an external BEC or glitch buster in this case...? Do I want to offload all my power demands to something else so the esc can give more to the motor? Is this one of those cases of a receiver cutting out, or is it my power system? Or both?

I've also read about turning off LVC. I guess it can cause brown-outs when you're calling for a lot of power (like a 6650kv motor would)... which I understand would be remedied by having a higher C rating battery.

Last edited:
Back