Does nitro fuel go bad?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turiondoom

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Does nitro fuel go bad from sitting around and if so what is the expected shelf life? Will it keep my rc truck from starting?

Absolutely It does go bad. It gets gummy or watery, but it has a pretty long shelf life. You can tell when nitro gets bad when it gets thick and gummy sometimes looke like water condensing in the bottle. Rule of thumb never use it after 1 year of sitting around.

Does nitro fuel go bad from sitting around and if so what is the expected shelf life? Will it keep my rc truck from starting?

Yup it does go bad.
Keep the cap that comes in the bottle neck & replace at the end of the day as it helps keep a tighter seal under the screw cap.

Also store it in a cool dry place, not you unheated/uncooled garage, off the concrete floor(on a bit of cardboard or thin bit of wood).

The methanol attracts water & will evaporate off so you need a good seal on the jug, its why they come from the MFG whit the extra cap in the neck.

As long as nitro fuel is stored properly it has a very good shelf life.

Nitro gone bad will have poor performance & smoke more.

Rule of thumb never use it after 1 year of sitting around.

As long as its stored properly it lasts longer than a year, i have fuel in my hobby room i have had for 3 years or more, and it still runs great, no problems at all.

I like using Odonnell's fuel because when it goes bad it turns brown...very easy to tell.

It never really goes completely bad. When it no longer works in a nitro engine it's still an excellent weed killer.

It never really goes completely bad. When it no longer works in a nitro engine it's still an excellent weed killer.

really old nitro burns like engine oil and works good for a fire starter