Does anyone here use Fly Sky GT5 Transmitter?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfnz

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Hello

As the title says, anyone here with one?

I am having major issues with runaways, random signal loss....etc
Pisses me off, crashed my cars a few times now, while even trying to figure out what is wrong.
At first I thought it was my battery packs, car power on switches, connectors...etc, now I am pretty much sure its the TX.
Also, if I connect a 2s lipo battery to it, it starts vibrating and giving an alarm?
Never knew it can vibrate, and it never did so when I was running it on 4 AA's and they got low, just a sound alarm.
Even before low battery alarms starts coming on, I start to loose signal and have runaways, I think this is what happens, I will do a few more tests and report back.

If someone can please tell me whether they have experienced the same with this TX that would be great.

Thank you!

I've had the rx undbind a few times... And one died on me.

But when they work, they work.

I would maybe pull it apart and check the soldering of the antenna wire inside. It may just be a cold solder connection. Speaking of soldering... I have a backlog of that I need to get busy on... ugg 😖

My flysky had one run away but it was my transmitter that failed and should have a auto shut off that didn’t work. That actually was on TRAT it’s self crashed it and kept running I had to run and go shut it down myself. Make sure you have a good Esc bind and it’s a good esc that can provide what you don’t want to happen next time.
My flysky had one run away but it was my transmitter that failed and should have a auto shut off that didn’t work. That actually was on TRAT it’s self crashed it and kept running I had to run and go shut it down myself. Make sure you have a good Esc bind and it’s a good esc that can provide what you don’t want to happen next time.
Over all it’s ur remote and esc. Test and tune is good practice to for test outs before you run. Bench test.

They are Chinese POS radios. I had one and had the same issues so I sold it and went back to the Traxxas TQi for now and haven't had issues since.

I have two FSGT5's. One for almost a year now and I've had no issues. Both FAR out perform a tqi. No comparison.
They are Chinese POS radios. I had one and had the same issues so I sold it and went back to the Traxxas TQi for now and haven't had issues since.
You had one that was broke so you sold it to someone? Hopefully not on our classifieds. It wasn't the OP was it?

Quality control isn't what it used to be with any companies lately. I would contact FlySky and see if they can help you. Where and when did you purchase it?

I never have any trouble with mine but the range is just ok for bashing. Set your fail safe on your esc’s if they have one and your models won’t run away when the signal is lost. My DumboRc 35.00$ radio has lots more range.
I run 2s lipos in mine with no trouble or alarms. Your radio may have just gone wonky. I think when mine goes I will try a Radiolink rc6gs, they have more range and everyone seems to like them.

I have two FSGT5's. One for almost a year now and I've had no issues. Both FAR out perform a tqi. No comparison.

You had one that was broke so you sold it to someone? Hopefully not on our classifieds. It wasn't the OP was it?

Quality control isn't what it used to be with any companies lately. I would contact FlySky and see if they can help you. Where and when did you purchase it?
It would glitch and cause the throttle to brown out while turning with a ProModeler brushless servo on one of my RC’s so obviously it could not handle the amperage of that servo on that car. The range of the TQi is better too. The gyro on the FlySky receiver didn’t work as well as the TQi receiver does for me. I had a few Qaulity issues with the receivers (had about 5 total) however the seller was very responsive and replaced them free of charge. When putting an RC vehicle in reverse at low speeds the throttle was erratic and not smooth on all my cars. On some cars we had no issues during bashing such as the 2WD Rustlers but those cars run basic servos. The FlySky had better features on paper than the TQi and at first I like it better but after using it for a while I realized it was a $69 POS Chinese radio that was never going to be more than just a mediocre bashing radio, and I personally liked the TQi performance better as far as range, gyro, and trouble free performance, and after I experienced some drive time with it. I sold it to a guy locally for dirt cheap and gave him all my extra receivers and as far as I know so he’s still using it and is happy with it. He doesn’t have high end servos on his cars nor does he use it for anything more than basic bashing so he’s likely not going to notice any of these things I am disclosing that I experienced with it.

Lessen learned: don’t expect $$150-200 radio performance from a $69 radio (at the time) from Amazon that is direct from China. I was fooled by all the glowing reviews on Amazon. You do get what you pay for. Maybe for the quality issues China is known for I didn’t get the best one and others here have a better manufactured one, IDK, or maybe it has to do with what you actually use it for. Push it to its limits and you may end up noticing the same things I noticed.

I have the GT5 and am using it in our Axial Ryft with all Tekin electronics, including their high torque servo. It doesn't get much more high end than that, and it works just fine. As far as range, I have never had a range issue with mine. I used it on a huge RC track and that was as far away from the car as I would ever care to be.

I currently have 6 different models programed to the one I use and 3 or 4 to the wife's. We both use them for bashers and crawlers so most of the time their used at pretty short range. Several of the crawlers are running reefs servos and no issues yet.

One of the bashers I use to run my dog in two different fields. One about 50 yards wide and 200 yards long. The other is a park with 6 baseball fields. I'm so far away on that one I had to put a bright orange flag on the 8s outcast so I can see it. I will admit at that distance response is a little slow but I've never lost signal.

I'm impressed enough with these cheap transmitters from flysky that I'm considering their upper end noble.

I'm no expert in the rc game by any means but these seem to be good enough for me and I'd say most average users would be pleased.

I don't have the GT5, but I'm still using my +10 year old GT3. Never had any issues with it on more than a dozen vehicles. Last year, I went ahead and got the orange color version just because I liked my original so much, and I just wanted that orange bling. I just don't need nor want all the extra features of the GT5. I've had no issues with the new GT3 either.
I also happen to have the TQi tx that came with my Slash Ultimate RTR. It works fine too, but I wouldn't have paid to buy it separately. @JcsRC stick around long enough and you'll hear plenty of issues Traxxas epectronics as well. Anything mass produced will have a few duds regardless of their price points and reputations.

I'm also still using a 10+ year old GT3b and while it doesn't hold a candle to my Sanwa MT-4S its great for bashing. IDK what the range is like on the GT5 but the GT3b is good for up to at least 3/4 of a mile. I used to use the GT3b to do 100+MPH speed runs with my high speed Rustler.

If your having signal loss problems then you need to inspect the antenna wire on the receiver. The RXs for the GT3 are notorious for getting breaks or cracks in them and then they start acting wonky. Then again what can you expect from a $10 RX?

If your having issues with runaways then you need to set the fail safe on the RX in order to prevent that from happening.

Back