Do slipper clutches work on nitro?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CycloneKid

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at eBay at slipper clutch rebuilds and found a Slipper Clutch Eliminator, i was curious if those worked for nitro and what the opinion is of them out there. Thanks guys!

Yes, they are used on Nitro's. The T-Maxx has one, and the Savage. I believe they are used in conjunction with a normal clutch too, however act as extra protection and smoother power delivery. I've never owned a vehicle with a slipper clutch, so I may be wrong.

Yes ,just like ninnon said ,they help protect the rest of the running gear.
Heres my Mgt spur gear mod.I done away with the friction pegs an installed ball bearings.
The spur actually has a side to side wobble that I think helps shed debri ,but still tracks straight
with the clutch bell gear.

002.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

Slippers definitely have a purpose in nitro or electric. The only time it's not really 100% necessary is for on-road OR if you have a center diff. They absorb shock from jumping, so not really needed for onroad unless your trying to add slip to increase on power control. If you have a center diff, when jumping, typically one end of the vehicle makes contact with the ground before the other end, so the diff oil/action absorbs a lot of the initial shock, which is why you don't see them on 1/8th buggies.

But on MT's and 2wd ST's and pretty much everything else, you will find a slipper. They really help save your other gears and axles from landing rotational mass tearing things up.

Back