Do I need a Better charger?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GREYWOLF!!!!! You're assistance is needed!!

Yes, that is the balancing plug. I'm not sure about the charger, it's lipo compatible but I don't see a balancing board. I've seen in-line balancing boards, I'll see if I can find link.

It didnt come with a balancing board and doesn't saybshit in the manual about balancing? I got the charger a while back to discharge and cycle my rx packs. I got the XS SS for free, but have already spent about $300 on esc, motor, batt, and couple hop ups.

Another question what is storage charge? Does the charger chrge or discharge a battery to stoge automaticly or do you need to figu it out? Sometimes it's months befo I can run. I don't want to ruin anything. I'm a elec newb sorry.

Storage charge is what lipos need to be charged at when your not running them, if they are fully charged or at LVC it will damage the cells, Sorry i know nothing about the ICE charger, does it have a plug in on the side of it to plug up an external balancer?

you need an external balancer with the charger. Not sure if this will work with the lipo. click
Storage charge puts the pack at 3.85 per cell, or less than that voltage depending on charger by either charging up a low pack or dis charging a high pack. It increases battery life storing at 50 ish%. Leaving drained or full will shorten the length quite quickly and may cause problems when next used/charged.

The ICE charger does require an external balancer. I would recommend the Astro Blinky. You can also get a Thunder power balance port adapter for it if needed. I can't get to ebay from work to see what battery you bought from ebay but when I get home here in an hour or 2 I can check it and see.

What Id really recommend you do if you just bought the ICE charger is return it or exchange it for something more current. The ICE charger is something like 5-8 years old and I'm surprised anyone still sells them anymore as I thought they were discontinued a couple years ago. Dont get me wrong it was a great charger for its time (I still have my ICE and my Blinky sitting in a drawer for back up usage) but its outdated and doesn't have things like an internal balancer (which is faster than an external) or storage charge mode. That being said it does have a lot of features for charging packs that arent found on newer cheaper chargers.

Actually I just looked back and saw you bought the charger awhile back. Probably what I would do is buy a second charger You can get the Thunder AC680 from Hobbypartz.com (if you're on a shoestring budget and want to say about $5-$6 bucks you can get Thunder AC6 from the same place) for about $10-$15 more than what you'll pay for a Blinky and it has about the same power output as the ICE. Then you can still use the ICE for your NiXX packs and use the Thunder AC680 for your lipos. The Thunder AC680 plugs into a wall outlet so you dont have to worry about a second DC power source. If you want a higher end charger let me know what your budget is.

The only difference between the AC6 and the AC680 is 30W more on the AC680 so it will charge 5S and 6S lipos faster. For 5-6 bucks more Id just get the 680.

Once I get home I'll take a look at the lipo you got from eBay.

Last edited:
Thanks for the plies. That AC680 looks pretty nice. I'm not too concerned about budget but would like to stay under $200. My main concern is that it is easy to use, newb proof lol.

The ice will be for my rx packs. No storage mo makes it useless to me for the XS.

If you want a really nice charger and your budget is $200 Id get an iCharger 306b or 206b and contact THIS GUY about building you a 12V or 24V PSU for it depending on which charger you get. I bought one of his 1100W 47A PSUs for my Powerlab 6 charger. Turns out I really could have used the 24V 1400W 57A one but oh well. the other one fit my budget at the time :)

---------- Post added at 6:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:08 PM ----------

Those lipos areok but you could have gotten 2 gensacearespammers 5000mah 40C lipos for what you paid for 1 of those. just my .02

I went with the ac680. Didn't want the hassle of ordering the power supply. The 680 looks easier to use as well and the price is great. Thatnks Greywolf and everybody else that responded.