DIY Alternatives to Air filters, Filter oil, Fuel line, Fuel filters???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSweeney

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Trying to get hold of rc nitro supplies where I live is so hard its not funny. So I'm starting to look at improvising using stuff I CAN find and buy.

Today, as i bounced from one crappy store to the next, I saw some sponge/foam used for seat padding. Its pretty much the same density, and seems to have similar tiny pores like my air filter foam. I bought a sheet of the stuff for 1.50, so theres no loss if its no good. I could probably cut well over 100 hundred filters from it.
Is there any reason why this stuff is a big no-no? I know its not gonna be quite as good at filtering as a propper filter, but with the ammount of foam i have, i could afford to replace the filter after every run. Can anyone see any real problems with this???

Also, Until I find some real air filter oil, could I use some other sort of thick/tacky lube? bearing in mind that i can replace the filter every day (providing the foam is ok).

Also..........Fuel line.
I wanna make my fuel and pressure lines longer but the 'workers' at my 2 LHS's look at me as if i have two heads when i ask for a length of fuel hose/line. I also asked in 2 machine hire/sale shops today and that was also like asking for rocking horse crap.
What other type of shop might sell fuel line? Is it used for any other types of application? Is it the same stuff as used on motorbikes etc? Gimme a clue :)

And finally, Fuel filters. Is there a readily available alternative?

I know all this might seem a little petty, but the hobby stores around here are useless (Anyone in Merseyside UK PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong on that!). Also, Ordering online is out of the question at the moment. :(

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cheers,
TheSweeney :cheers:

I feel your pain bro.

Filter element: I don't see why the stuff you got wouldn't work, provided that the cells are about the same density and the material is the same. Cutting it would require a great deal of care though. Any tiny miscuts and the air will take that route and bypass the filter. Also, I'd try lubing it up with whatever you're gonna use and see if the lube and foam are compatable. Some foam isn't compatable with certain lubes.

Filter Lubes: You might try axle grease. Or the heaviest oil you can find. I wouldn't recommend this normally, since most axle greases and heavy oil are petroleum based, but for filters it might be ok. Again, test the lube on the foam before you try it ion your engine. Latex based materials (I think) will deteriorate rapidly when mixed with petroleum materials.

Fuel line: In the old days, fuel line was the same stuff as surgical tubing. Only problem with using surgical tubing is that it will deteriorate with age and exposure to nitro fuel, though that may be over the course of years. If you find some, be sure to clean it good, just in case.

Fuel filters: try looking into small engine (lawn mower, weed eater) shops. I'm pretty sure that there are small filters that are available. The only problem is that most of these are designed for petrol motors. They'll work, but again, keep an eye on their condition.

Best of luck mate, let us know what ya find.

Thanks for getting back to me error.

I've got a small tub of HV grease here somewhere and a few types of airgun oil (some of which are pretty thick). I'll do a bit of experimenting.
I also bought a craft knife set today, so that should be handy when it comes to cutting the filters. I'll make a couple of templeates the same size as my filter, put the foam in between the two templates and cut around them. I got plenty of foam to play with so i should be ok on that one.

Cheers for the suggestion about the fuel filters. I was actually in a couple of machine hire shops today and didnt even think to ask about fuel filters. I'll give them a try tomorrow.

As for the hoses, surgical tubing certainly gives me a few more options.

So far, So good.

Thanks a lot for your help m8.

Everyone else, feel free to sugest more innovations :) the more avenues I have to explore, the better.

Cheers.

TheSweeney

you can also use a length of pipe the same diameter, as needed for filter, and a hammer to get a nice round cut. sharpen end of pipe with a file if needed.

Now, that sounds like it could be a good idea. Do you mean like a home-made 'cookie-cutter' type thing for cutting the air filters?
Sounds good to me.

Cheers M8.

What about fish tank air line tubing for fuel tubing ?? this might work its like a plastic material.

I know:idea: cuz I'm such a nice chap if u P.M me or e-mail i am more than willing to send u some fuel line in the post 4 free:shhh: if it means theres 1 more car or mt out there bashing:dance:

P:S OR if u want a list of stuff ill get it from my lhs and send it to u for cost np

Originally posted by hpiracer
What about fish tank air line tubing for fuel tubing ?? this might work its like a plastic material.

I think that stuff is PVC (polyvinylcarbonate), that's what gas burners use and I don't think it's compatable with alcohol/nitro. Same as nitro fuel tubing being a no-no on a gas burner. Good thought though.

Originally posted by shorty
I know:idea: cuz I'm such a nice chap if u P.M me or e-mail i am more than willing to send u some fuel line in the post 4 free:shhh: if it means theres 1 more car or mt out there bashing:dance:

P:S OR if u want a list of stuff ill get it from my lhs and send it to u for cost np

Awww Man, You the man, Man! :banana: :w00t: :banana:

Now that is one damn generous offer :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :dance: :bow:

You have a PM. :D

Cheers m8.

TheSweeney.

That's what I like to see....good man shorty!!

Back