Direct drive

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien13

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Has anybody done a direct drive setup? Is there even a way to go direct from the engine to a rear end? Not really important, just a curiosity thing.

i'm not really sure i've seen one..

But i'm pretty sure i've seen boats that are direct drive but have clutches in them

Might be able to make somthing like that work

clutch-less set-ups on surface rc cars wont work, at the lower rpms found while idle'ing the engine does not have enough power to turn the wheels that is why the clutch shoes engage later when the engine does, a clucth-less system would be continually connected to the engine so if you hit the brakes it will slow down the engine in a manner that could seriously damage internals.

clutch-less set-ups on surface rc cars wont work, at the lower rpms found while idle'ing the engine does not have enough power to turn the wheels that is why the clutch shoes engage later when the engine does, a clucth-less system would be continually connected to the engine so if you hit the brakes it will slow down the engine in a manner that could seriously damage internals.

What about a direct drive with a clutch?

it could work however the gearing would be difficult to get right ^^

Thats why i suggested the setup from a boat that has a clutch in it....direct drive with a clutch

I don't think it'll work on a land vehicle unless you go with a big engine and really light vehicle. I just don't think there's enough torque to do it IMO.

Back