Differential Output shaft question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

override

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Decided to blow the dust off of some RC stuff and try to get my custom Savage X brushless conversion done. I have been researching various diff components to try and figure out my drive line, which has been the most difficult part of this build every time I have sat down to mess with it. It seems even more so now - Savage parts and just in general RC parts don't seem to be as readily available.

Basically I am trying to find 5mm output shafts and the only thing I keep finding is drive cups. The shafts I am referring too are like the Traxxas style diffs where you had a pin style shaft and the cup slid over the shaft and was secured with a grub screw or screw-pin. I managed to find some old Ofna 5mm shafts on eBay and ordered those, I am sure they will work but it definitely seems these particular size output shafts are not readily available anymore.

Also I was originally going to use a Kershaw direct drive but that things is so out of alignment that I gave up on it and I see Kershaw/Dan is no longer around (I still wanted some of his battery trays for my savage dag-nabbit). Last time I had the Savage on the bench I picked up an Alza Racing center diff carrier, I got the recommended Arma center diff in yesterday and that thing is build like a kids RC toy you would find at walmart. All of the HotBodies and Caster Racing diffs I am familiar with are no long available so does anyone know a good 50T center diff that is beefy? Bearings need to be 15x8x5mm and preferably 6mm output shafts (at least then I can use the Traxxas ones).

I did order an Arma 1/7th Limitless diff but I think that is actually a direct drive setup, either way it will work but the Alza carrier doesn't have the ability to run a slipper so direct drive would likely end in a lot of damaged parts.

Thanks!

Decided to blow the dust off of some RC stuff and try to get my custom Savage X brushless conversion done. I have been researching various diff components to try and figure out my drive line, which has been the most difficult part of this build every time I have sat down to mess with it. It seems even more so now - Savage parts and just in general RC parts don't seem to be as readily available.

Basically I am trying to find 5mm output shafts and the only thing I keep finding is drive cups. The shafts I am referring too are like the Traxxas style diffs where you had a pin style shaft and the cup slid over the shaft and was secured with a grub screw or screw-pin. I managed to find some old Ofna 5mm shafts on eBay and ordered those, I am sure they will work but it definitely seems these particular size output shafts are not readily available anymore.

Also I was originally going to use a Kershaw direct drive but that things is so out of alignment that I gave up on it and I see Kershaw/Dan is no longer around (I still wanted some of his battery trays for my savage dag-nabbit). Last time I had the Savage on the bench I picked up an Alza Racing center diff carrier, I got the recommended Arma center diff in yesterday and that thing is build like a kids RC toy you would find at walmart. All of the HotBodies and Caster Racing diffs I am familiar with are no long available so does anyone know a good 50T center diff that is beefy? Bearings need to be 15x8x5mm and preferably 6mm output shafts (at least then I can use the Traxxas ones).

I did order an Arma 1/7th Limitless diff but I think that is actually a direct drive setup, either way it will work but the Alza carrier doesn't have the ability to run a slipper so direct drive would likely end in a lot of damaged parts.

Thanks!

Not sure if this sight is ligit ,but they may have some stuff ,you will have to look up the HPI parts ,or do the research on the sight!

HPI Savage XL Flux Parts | Hobby Recreation Products

I don't know about the reliability of that site but I did find some part numbers that steered me in a different direction. Problem is I can't find sizes for those the stub axles they have on there, they are traxxas those so should be easy enough to find out or maybe I can stop by my local RC shop and see if they have the part on the shelf.

Digging deeper I might have found some other options as well so thanks for the link it helped further my research.

Back