Difference between a 2s and 3s LiPo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtboogie

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm new to LiPo's and have a vehicle that is 2s lipo and 3s lipo capable. What I'm wondering is what is the difference between the 2?

Does one make the vehicle faster or run longer? Also, what does the "mah" on a battery stand for and what is its effect to a battery? Thanks in advance for any help.

2 cell LiPo is 7.4 volts.
3 cell LiPo is 11.1 volts.

Mah is milliamps.....or the battery's capacity. The C rating is how much your battery is capable of delivering over a period of time. If the C and mah ratings are too low you can watch your vehicle burn.

If you are you asking what is the difference between running 2s compared to 3s, then 3s is faster due to more voltage.

If your asking whats the difference between a 2s and a 3s then I'd suggest stick with nimhs as it won,t just be the vehicle that burns. There's settings for each type on the LiPo charger having the wrong setting will be real bad.

3s=more carnage and destroyed parts than 2s. If you're just starting out and want to go LiPo, start with 2s.

2s: Fun driving, controllable for racing a lighter vehicle.

3s: WHOA!!! HANG ON BABY, WE'RE GOING FOR A RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mah=milliamp-hour. It's a measure of capacity. Basically the higher the longer run time you get.

2s = 2 cells in series. 3s=3 cells in series.
2s2p=4 cells in two sets of series then wired in parallel.

Cells wired in series increases voltage. Cells in parallel increase in capacity (mah).

Stick with 2 S at first. They are cheaper. I try to get batteries of 5000MAH, but have bought 1000 before when insanely good deals come by (just got a new one for 8 bucks). 2 S (7.4volts) provides plenty of power and untill you can control it you will only break stuff with 3S.

thanks guys I understand it all now. And i know that you have to charge them carefully with the right charger and balancer and in a lipo safe bag. I also have read to never charge over 1 amp because its a high risk of fire and also shortens the life of your lipo. I was just confused because my mini summit is 2s and 3s compatible and I figured the 3s is faster but the 3s is cheaper then the 2s 1/16 lipos on Tower Hobbies but the mah rating on the 3s's are lower than the available 2s lipos. Also was curious because I see that vehicles like the e maxx brushless and e revo run off 6s lipos, and was just curious as to what makes a vehicle need to run off of the higher 6s batteries. I'm new to the lipo scene so I'm just trying to learn what can. also how does the mah rating effect the operationof the vehicle? like what is the difference between a 1000 mah, a 3000 mah, and a 5000 mah battery. And I have even seen some go up to I think like 8400 mah. Just wondering what the higher ratings do for the vehicle they are in. And is there any lipos that are better than other onces? Yes i have seen the 160 venoms on tower but I'm talking about ones that can be used in the 1/16 vehicles because Tower only has a few choices that fit.

As far as charging rate goes, you should charge them at 1c which is the mAH of your pack. A 5000 mAH pack can safely be charged at 5000 mAH or 5 amps.

Also I see everyone saying when not using you battery you should store lipos at 60% of its capacity. So If I run the battery completely down while I'm out using my truck do I need to throw it on the charger when I get home and get it to the 60% or is it ok to just store the lipo with no charge at all?

Difference between 1000 mah and 5000 is play time. Actual performance isn't effected other then how long before you have to stop and charge.

thanks guys your inputs have helped a lot. I like the fact that when I have any question about my nitro or electric I can post it on this site and get good helpful feedback. Now I just wish I could get the confidence to tear my t maxx down and fix it and not worry that it will never get put back together. lol

Lol, had same reservations before I tore into my savage. Just clear a couple hours of alone time and go for it.

I'm out using my truck do I need to throw it on the charger when I get home and get it to the 60% or is it ok to just store the lipo with no charge at all?

this is something i would like to know.. as the 2cell lipo i had from 2 years ago is now only reading 1 cell and is no good anymore.

i had to go and buy a new battery and it didn't have the deans connector on it so now i have to do some soldering too.

i run mine down, then put on storage mode after.
sometimes the next use might not be until next day but a week later, sometimes two.
The next time i use again just balance charge as normal before using.
always use balance charge if these are your first ones.
If you don't run the batteries far enough down, storage mode dis-charges to storage state.
the one from two years ago just dispose of safely, for the price of them it's not worth the risk of trying to revive, even if it would be possible.

Difference between 1000 mah and 5000 is play time. Actual performance isn't effected other then how long before you have to stop and charge.

You do have to have enough MAH to get the minimum C rating that's required by your machine. An example of this is the mamba monster. It requires a minimum rating of 25c. The pack must also have 5000 mah, anything less can be trouble. All that means is the pack can be discharged at 25x the pack's capacity.
5.0 amps x 25c= 125 amps, which is the minimum required amperage on a mamba monster......for example.

I'm ahh new to the r/c hobby and am thinking about buying a Prophet Plus AC/DC Peak Charger By Dynamite. but do they justplug straight into a power point or will i need an adapter. I'm using a 2200 Ni-Cd Battery - 7.2V with Banana 4.0 Connector. how long would the battery last for until it is completely drained?

I'm ahh new to the r/c hobby and am thinking about buying a Prophet Plus AC/DC Peak Charger By Dynamite. but do they justplug straight into a power point or will i need an adapter. I'm using a 2200 Ni-Cd Battery - 7.2V with Banana 4.0 Connector. how long would the battery last for until it is completely drained?

Ditch the NiCd battery at least and get a NiMh and really get rid of the banana connector, go with a deans or a Trx Plug. . .they are able to handle much higher current than banana plugs, tamyia connectors and other pieces of junk like that . ..just my :2cents:

Hello everyone. Nice thread. Learned alot about batteries.
But what is the kv rating?
What does the kv rating equal?