Did I burn out my motor?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cleaned the motor and the gears out a bit and ran it. But I noticed near the back of the motor, there are sparks while it is running, is that normal for brushed?
Sparks or electrical sparks
The sound is also still there :cry:
And back to brushless, what would you recommend for buying? Where from? What ESC and Motor?

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I was just out using the ARRMA Typhon buggy. Ran into something, and the motor did what it is supposed to and slipped gear to prevent burning/wearing of it. But after that, the motor smells of burnt rubber/electronic. And when ran, you can hear something rubbing on it inside the motor. I checked all the power cables, battery, ESC, none of that smelt nor looked strange. Only the motor had the smell. Did I burn the motor or break it?
The motor is brushed by the way.
The plastic and case is not burnt or melted either
If you burnt the wires it’s junk if it’s just the gears you might be able to buy a motor rebuild kit

Yeah, I just put the motor back in and ran it, the smell came immediately
Well then it burnt out try to find a motor rebuild kit if you need to enless you have the money to throw at a new motor and esc
When I burnt my motor out (vxl3) I bought a $15 motor rebuild kit and saved $100 on the motor by rebuilding it instead of spending $115 on a new motor

Well then it burnt out try to find a motor rebuild kit if you need to enless you have the money to throw at a new motor and esc
When I burnt my motor out (vxl3) I bought a $15 motor rebuild kit and saved $100 on the motor by rebuilding it instead of spending $115 on a new motor
The motor I have i found on amazon by and sold by ARRMA for only $25

after looking at your pics That motor is not rebuildable its a sealed can with brushes that are attached to spring arms.
That's a bummer. So I will either have to upgrade to brushless or get another motor. Do you have a recommendation of where to buy and what to buy for a brushless upgrade?

Last edited:
Yeah. Might as well bite the bullet
I cleaned the motor and the gears out a bit and ran it. But I noticed near the back of the motor, there are sparks while it is running, is that normal for brushed?
Sparks or electrical sparks
The sound is also still there :cry:
And back to brushless, what would you recommend for buying? Where from? What ESC and Motor?
www.jennysrc.com has the oem replacement motor and ESC for the brushless 3s Typhon about as cheap as you will find it. The motor is in stock, but the ESC isn't. If you request to be notified for a few Typhon parts, he will grab a couple and restock. I have found they don't restock often unless you do that. You can get SMS or email notifications.

Otherwise, what is your budget? Note: you will need a LiPo as well as a charger.

The budget is around 100-150. Yes, i have the money for lipo and charger. One last question about my old motor, it spins, and provides power, but smells burnt when ran, is that risking starting a fire? Should I keep it for spares or not?
Yeah. Might as well bite the bullet

www.jennysrc.com has the oem replacement motor and ESC for the brushless 3s Typhon about as cheap as you will find it. The motor is in stock, but the ESC isn't. If you request to be notified for a few Typhon parts, he will grab a couple and restock. I have found they don't restock often unless you do that. You can get SMS or email notifications.

Otherwise, what is your budget? Note: you will need a LiPo as well as a charger.

Toss it. With that budget, I would just buy the OEM set from Jenny's RC. They sell the motor and ESC together, or separately.

I

tried getting the motor out, when I pull the pull tab, the motor module seems to be stuck, I got the drive shaft and the elastic straps out
Sometimes you got to get a flat head screwdriver and pride in between the motor module while you're lifting the tabs
I

tried getting the motor out, when I pull the pull tab, the motor module seems to be stuck, I got the drive shaft and the elastic straps out
It's really not that hard I've got to granite's and when I first started messing with it it was hard but after you do it a few times it's easy