Default servo position for radio signal loss?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizzer

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings guys,

Just trying to setup a new Losi 5ive, I am a complete noob to this and struggling with the position the throttle servo defaults to when I simulate loss of signal by shutting off the radio. I have tried searching it all over the web but can’t find it. Currently the servo is going to wide open throttle and no brake. Not really an ideal arrangement if something fails! Lol

I am running a Spektrum DX5C transmitter and a SR6000T radio. Any help is greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Bizzer

found this on setting up failsafe on spektrums..
Failsafe is set when binding the radio to the receiver. After you initiate the bind process with the bind buttons as described in the spektrum manual, hold the radio's controls in the desired failsafe position. In other words holding the radio at full brake while in the bind process will set the failsafe to full brake

Thanks TNT, I just found a 3rd party video right now as well was going to update. Took a fair bit of digging though. It is the one of few small things not clearly defined in their the manual, but definitely one of the most important!

On my gas or nitro trucks (and electric really), I set my FS to neutral. Many years ago when you bought a FS as an additional device, I tried setting it for full brake. Then the first time it kicked in when I was in the air, it sent my truck carthwheeling to a gruesome death. At least if it goes to neutral (idle), it's less jarring to whatever your doing with it at the time.

^^ Hey Olds, your point makes a lot of sense to reduce damage to the truck. I was worried more about a run away and injuring someone or causing property damage possibly. At this stage of my life I am more worried about safety and possible liability then damage to the truck.

I was worried about the carb linkage binding at WOT and thinking I wanted brake on to reduce my speed. This may increase my time to gather my senses and hit the remote kill. Having said that, after you suggested neutral I may have to reconsider. If the linkage binds the servo probably won’t overcome the binding and brakes won’t apply, correct? If the servo craps out at wide open the point is moot as the servo is dead!

It’s definitely something I should think over. Curious if any other experienced guys have any input or real life experience that relates.

Thanks,
Bizzer

A TRS (throttle return spring) is there if you lose power. 99.9% of them will not deal with a faulty servo that is forcing itself to WOT... If they were that strong, they would likely cook the servo anyway. The Failsafe circuit is there if you lose signal. Old school ones would kick in based on receiver pack voltage as well, but I don't think most of the built in ones in receivers do that anymore. They just go to the preset if signal is lost.

I run in wet conditions a lot and I'm fairly liberal with the hose when cleaning. I learned that using a waterproof servo for throttle/brake is a must. They almost always seem to fail and go WOT when wet. No matter what you do in that case, your boned. Just hope you have power to steer it into something that only harms the truck. Waterproof servo's are everywhere cheap now. 20 years ago, not so much.

Thanks for that Olds, that was very helpful for a noob like me!