Dedicated batteries for each RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

More_Power

RCTalk Racer
Military Veteran
Reaction score
I was talking with a guy who knows way more than I do about electric RCs than I do. He was telling me it’s best to run dedicated batteries for each RC I have. Currently I have a 2wd slash that is 3S. And I have a 4wd slash that has a 6S system. And I’ve got 3 3S batteries. The batteries are used in both RCs. He was saying that I should have a set of batteries that are only used on my 6S and a different set that are only used for my 3S. That way the battery balance is always equal for the 6S system.

but the reason I went with the VXL6S system on the 4wd is to only need 1 type of batteries for both trucks; traxxas 3S 5000mah batteries.

Has anyone else heard this or had any experience with this? If this is a real thing, then I might just get 2 maxamps 3S graphine lipo batteries with traxxas connectors and a maxamps 6S graphine lipo.

Talk to this guy Graywolf47. He’s very smart about this.

I dont agree with this designated battery for each rc. only thing is if your running 2 batts to make more cell count then swap the batteries around .dont always run them in same sequence ..I've never run into anything bad except learning this with a few saddle pack cars. the negative side would always die 1st... when I dint swap them around

I dont agree with this designated battery for each rc. only thing is if your running 2 batts to make more cell count then swap the batteries around .dont always run them in same sequence ..I've never run into anything bad except learning this with a few saddle pack cars. the negative side would always die 1st... when I dint swap them around
I agree with you

But think about it you need at least 4 batteries to run poop out here just how you wire them. I had to run 2 in my 65. That was due to no Alternator but enough to keep it going down the track. Yes running dual electric fans, electric fuel pump ect.

I understand what he means about dedicated batteries, it just means they will have the same wear and tear and lifespan. This assures your not running one tired old battery and one fresh new one at the same time. Unless your doing speed runs, I don't think it will cause you any problems.

regular ir testing (knowledge) knowing n logging how many mah a pack takes on charger.. when ir goes up n mah also go up time to sit pack to do other tasks

I understand what he means about dedicated batteries, it just means they will have the same wear and tear and lifespan. This assures your not running one tired old battery and one fresh new one at the same time.
This is what I do. I run dual 3S packs in my e-revo 2.0 and outcast. I have the packs labled and I always run the same pairs together. The only thing I try to do is alternate which of each pair is plugged into the negative side of the esc. When one pack in a pair starts failing (IR goes up, charge time goes up, it puffs), I use the other pack in my single pack trucks and buy a couple new pairs for my 6S trucks.

When I made it a point to do this, I had 2 3S trucks and 3 6S trucks... now I have 2 6S trucks, 1 3S truck and 2 4S trucks... so if one of the 3S packs in my "pairs" dies on me, I only have one truck to use it in now. Which is fine.

I was trying at one point to only need one battery type/style for all, but my trucks have changed, so that isn't as important to me now.

I have a pair of liperior 65C and CNHL 65C packs that fit fine in my outcast, but are a bit thick to fit in my e-revo comfortably unless I remove the battery clips, which is annoying. So, when those packs die, I likely won't buy them again and stick with the 45C liperiors I do run in my e-revo if they continue to hold up over time. Then at least I have less variety and don't have "special" packs for each truck.

I agree with you

But think about it you need at least 4 batteries to run poop out here just how you wire them. I had to run 2 in my 65. That was due to no Alternator but enough to keep it going down the track. Yes running dual electric fans, electric fuel pump ect.
Now your talkin my language! Lol. I used to build high HP engines and race vehicles.

I don’t really do speed runs. My 2wd is on 3S VXL and the option speed gearing. I got it for free and it get all the hand me downs from my 4x4; it’s literally a basher. My 4x4 I got for $125. But I have put at least double that in to it. With the VXL6S power system, 20T/50T gearing, and a traxxas 2250 servo; it’s out side of my driving skill, unfortunately. It can get away from me very quickly. And it’s expensive when it does. I’m obviously curious as to how fast it can go, but going as fast as possible is not my priority. If speed was my priority, I would have went with a different power system, gearing, and wheels/tires.

This is what I do. I run dual 3S packs in my e-revo 2.0 and outcast. I have the packs labled and I always run the same pairs together. The only thing I try to do is alternate which of each pair is plugged into the negative side of the esc. When one pack in a pair starts failing (IR goes up, charge time goes up, it puffs), I use the other pack in my single pack trucks and buy a couple new pairs for my 6S trucks.

When I made it a point to do this, I had 2 3S trucks and 3 6S trucks... now I have 2 6S trucks, 1 3S truck and 2 4S trucks... so if one of the 3S packs in my "pairs" dies on me, I only have one truck to use it in now. Which is fine.

I was trying at one point to only need one battery type/style for all, but my trucks have changed, so that isn't as important to me now.

I have a pair of liperior 65C and CNHL 65C packs that fit fine in my outcast, but are a bit thick to fit in my e-revo comfortably unless I remove the battery clips, which is annoying. So, when those packs die, I likely won't buy them again and stick with the 45C liperiors I do run in my e-revo if they continue to hold up over time. Then at least I have less variety and don't have "special" packs for each truck.
Olds97_lss is doing it right and the guy that told you that is on point. You want to run "matched cells" in your kits that have series connectors in them. This keeps the IR of the cells within the two matched packs roughly the same. You dont have to do this but everytime you run a lipo it builds up a little bit of IR so if you have two packs, even if they are identical brand, C rating, mAh rating, etc but one pack has 20 runs on it and the other has 40 runs on it the 40 run pack is going to be the weaker pack and more prone to having problems. So keep your cells matched and use the odd batteries in your single battery trucks. At least for maximum battery lifetime and minimal LiPo failures.

IDK how many of you vape but anyone whos ever owned a Vape mod will be familiar with using matched battery pairs. Same reason