Dead servo after half hour running?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcobrien

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I upgraded the steering servo to an Alturn 750MG & I've lost all steering after half hour running. I've tried swapping cable slots in the receiver & the other one works fine when swapped.

Surely it shouldn't die so quickly?! It has 11kg of torque & I'm running the Blast wheels and Goliath tyres.

Any help/advice appreciated..

I'm wondering if this is a servo for lower weight vehicles ?? like buggies or truggies etc... It sucks your getting so many problems.

I'm not sure about Mg i never get servos based on mg simply because I'm used to Oz.

I personally have a 255 steering servo, it was only 30 dollars or so and I've been using it for over a year now with ALOT of bashing. and it still steers fine.

If you call the company maybe they can help you figure out what had caused it.... also if it turns out its a complete loss i would get this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-255oz-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3372780f5d Heres the exact servo i have. Its affordable and for me its been working for awhile with absolutely nothing going wrong.

The only thing that sucks with installation is it doesn't actually drop right in.. Right where the wires come out theres that rubber piece that is supposed to protect the wires from pinching.. but it comes out too far. So i personally had to take the rubber piece out by taking the bottom plate off and carefully cutting it off and then making it alot shorter so it can clear the tunnel it has to go into.

Last edited:
I have a truggy with that same servo listed above. My only complaint is the case is kind of weak. Its easy to break the mounting tabs. 1 actually came in broken so they sent me another one to replace it.

If your running a digital radio set up and analog servos, they will burn up quickly. Some radios need to have the servo selector set on analog to prevent that.

There is no distinction from buggy to MT servos. Theres torque and speed. You want high torque to turn those big wheels.

Hitec hs7955tg is the best steering servo to get IMO. It will turn those Goliaths with ease. Its a different spline than your stock servo so make sure you use the correct arm.

You can keep going through cheapo servos or just get a good one and be done with it. You can also look into Savox servos or the JR servos. Your looking for 250 and up oz tq.

Dude, stop creating a new thread for every question. You already had a thread about your servo started. You've been told multiple times about creating so many threads.

I have a truggy with that same servo listed above. My only complaint is the case is kind of weak. Its easy to break the mounting tabs. 1 actually came in broken so they sent me another one to replace it.

If your running a digital radio set up and analog servos, they will burn up quickly. Some radios need to have the servo selector set on analog to prevent that.

There is no distinction from buggy to MT servos. Theres torque and speed. You want high torque to turn those big wheels.

Hitec hs7955tg is the best steering servo to get IMO. It will turn those Goliaths with ease. Its a different spline than your stock servo so make sure you use the correct arm.

You can keep going through cheapo servos or just get a good one and be done with it. You can also look into Savox servos or the JR servos. Your looking for 250 and up oz tq.

Not sure how much the servo was if it was cheap or not. But my 255 oz servo was cheap and I've not been going through it at all... i think the idea everyone has that if something is cheap is going to break is sort of a narrow minded thought. I think he would be happy with the same 30 dollar servo i have.. If its been lasting me a year now with no issues i dont think its going bad because its cheap.. there are some good products for cheap prices.. Just gotta search around.

Generally its been doing a good job, and been turning my wheels with no issues or burning out.. Ill go as far as saying its just as good as any of these expensive servos.

Dude, stop creating a new thread for every question. You already had a thread about your servo started. You've been told multiple times about creating so many threads.

Yeah,, and I've listened! Chill out!

I'm just egging you on man :stick:, I just got back from having another jaw surgery.....so I'm still up there a little. I threw a Hitec HSR 5990TG on my Losi, it's a beast, 333 oz on 6v and 417 when I jump up to a lipo rx pack. It's actually a robot servo but I couldn't pass on the deal. For a MT, you want over 200 oz (14.4kg), that's a bare minimum. If you throw bigger/heavier tires on, a stronger servo will help.

Steering: Torque, help turn the heavy tires, while running at speed the tires are harder to turn because of the angular momentum.
Throttle: Speed, a faster servo sill make your throttle seem "snappier", you also want enough torque to operate your brakes.

Here is a good site to convert servo tq ratings.

Not sure how much the servo was if it was cheap or not. But my 255 oz servo was cheap and I've not been going through it at all... i think the idea everyone has that if something is cheap is going to break is sort of a narrow minded thought. I think he would be happy with the same 30 dollar servo i have.. If its been lasting me a year now with no issues i dont think its going bad because its cheap.. there are some good products for cheap prices.. Just gotta search around.

Generally its been doing a good job, and been turning my wheels with no issues or burning out.. Ill go as far as saying its just as good as any of these expensive servos.

As I posted, I have that servo and have issues with the case. I'm not just talking poop. I have tried all the products you swear by. That cheap servo and those poopy hotbodies wheels. Only a newb would keep insisting that that trash is good. I and many others have used them and came to the conclusion that they suck. this guy is new and I hate to see him make the mistake that many of us have made. You keep trying to steer him that way.

That sevo is cheap for a reason. I can post pics if necc. to convince the reasonable people. Youll never learn. You think if you own it, it must be the fiddlesticking bomb.:p:

I'm just egging you on man :stick:, I just got back from having another jaw surgery.....so I'm still up there a little. I threw a Hitec HSR 5990TG on my Losi, it's a beast, 333 oz on 6v and 417 when I jump up to a lipo rx pack. It's actually a robot servo but I couldn't pass on the deal. For a MT, you want over 200 oz (14.4kg), that's a bare minimum. If you throw bigger/heavier tires on, a stronger servo will help.

Steering: Torque, help turn the heavy tires, while running at speed the tires are harder to turn because of the angular momentum.
Throttle: Speed, a faster servo sill make your throttle seem "snappier", you also want enough torque to operate your brakes.

Here is a good site to convert servo tq ratings.

Wow.. They're expensive!! Probably out of my budget. Already have the spending bug (seems to be a bottomless pit!).

Think I'm gonna go for the Savox SC-1256TG. Didn't wanna spend that much, but I need it to run my 7" Blast wheels & Goliath tyres & don't want to be constantly replacing (pain in the a#%)..

Sorry to hear about your jaw. Hope it went OK :)

Yeah hitech are pricey but worth the penny! I have an out dated hs 5579tg on my tmaxx steering and its 3yrs old and still is very strong and fast also. It has outlasted 5 other servos on two rigs.

As I posted, I have that servo and have issues with the case. I'm not just talking poop. I have tried all the products you swear by. That cheap servo and those poopy hotbodies wheels. Only a newb would keep insisting that that trash is good. I and many others have used them and came to the conclusion that they suck. this guy is new and I hate to see him make the mistake that many of us have made. You keep trying to steer him that way.

That sevo is cheap for a reason. I can post pics if necc. to convince the reasonable people. Youll never learn. You think if you own it, it must be the fiddlesticking bomb.:p:

Well obviously we just have different results... You have bad experience with it and I've had nothing but good experience with it.. Its natural for anyone to support or discourage anyone to buy something they have owned and voice their opinion.

I own the exact same servo aswell and I've not had any issues with it.. there for ill stand by it.. If its performed with no breakage or failing what so ever what do you think any one would say ??? They would support that part and recommend it to anyone.

The hot bodies wheels are the same thing.. I've personally had good experiences with them.. you haven't.. so just because you and some other people have no had goo experiences with them doesn't mean every single set of hot bodies wheels is crap. In this hobby or anything for that matter there are products some people get that are just faulty.. it happens...

and lastly .. your calling me a newb because I'm supporting a product that has simply worked for me under hard abuse for over a year.. Do you even understand your logic after really thinking about that ??

The thing is everyone has this idea that if your not paying the TOP dollar for something it will break ... well thats sad and just a hole in your pocket I'm trying to help you avoid. If my servo has worked for this long and has plenty of power to turn my wheels witch happen to be some of the heaviest wheels you can buy for the savage for over a year of constant use... thats a pretty validating reason for me to encourage anyone to buy this servo.

Last edited:
There are some decent cheap products, but not the ones you listed. They are trash. Id love to see some of that "abuse" You would be the only one that ever bought those wheels and re happy with them. They are discontinued now. I wonder why..

Theres a saying "if something sounds too good to be true......" thats the servo. I have 2 of them in my truggy where mounting isnt an issue so the tabs being brittle doesn't matter. In a Savage the tabs do matter and that servo is a bad idea.

I referred to you as a newb because thats one of only two reasons you would be so defensive over trash products. The other would be that your just stubborn.

You praised that servo, I came in and gave my opinion from my experience. That was enough. When you have to keep jumping in defending that trash anytime somebody has a different opinion, you invite my smart ass replies.

OK.. Does everyone agree that the Savox 1256TG is the right choice around the £50 ($80) mark? Have to decide by the morning whether to just get a replacement Alturn 750MG (cost me £20) or pay the extra & get the Savox. Everyone seems to agree 15kg minimum & the Alturn is only 12kg.

I must stress that longevity is just as important (to me) as performance..

Yes. I agree that savox 1256tg will suit your needs. The only other one i would recommend over it would be the hitech and i can't think of the # of it but the price is around $129 US.