Dead 3.3?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantlive4ever

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What do you guys think?
TRX 3.3 pull start mechanism works great when off the truck (very smooth pull and retracts with out hesitation

installed it does not retract? Its like the part that it is connected to is to strong for it to turn back the other way... and retract the cord.

when engine runs it randomly dies not at any specific temp just seems to cut off.

I don't know how to tell how much compression it still has but I can spin the flywheel until it gets to be harder then I can push through it its not to tough but takes some effort.
Can low compression cause the cord to not want to retract?

I can't figure this truck out need help and want to know whats going on so I can use it.

Make sure the one way bearing is installed correctly, lettering on the bearing faces the engine and not the starter system and that the OWB spins freely counter clockwise when installed correctly.

Engine pinch sounds ok, but its hard to judge with out being there in person.

the OWB gets gummed and so does the pullstart and together they fail, mine did the same thing i just cleaned the OWB and used the ez start

have u tried taking needles back to factory and re tuning? i know i tried that on mine and the lsn i couldnt get tuned to how it was 24hrs before. wouldnt wheelie anymore and didnt actually get its ass moving till the HSN kicked in. no matter how rich or lean i had the LSN.

if the motor is stuffed its only 130$ ish to replace it with factory or about $300 odd to get a picco with all the bits u need.

thanks for all the replies it was the one way bearing (the black round sleeve around the shaft???(I'm NEW) so now everything is starting up and firing right up pull start works will idle great by itself even cold just starts right up and idles when I start driving same problem the engine just cuts out.

Thanks guys so far you guys have been awesome just think maybe tuning or would this be the symptoms of an air leak?

could be either, try factory tune and tune it from there first, if you can't get it right might be an air leak. but u might as well do a quick check on the air leaks first. blow into the rear of the exhaust and no air should escape. if it does it will be in the fuel tank seal or the header seal. otherwise could be carb or back plate leak. are you checking your temps while ur running it and when it dies?

Don't go back to factory specs, just richen the high speed needle 1 full turn. That should be enough to get it running rich, or at least not too lean like it is now. If it still cuts out then it may be worn, but your biggest problem is with tuning or a possible air leak.
You need to richen it until it's noticeably rich then slowly lean it back to maximum performance.

Sounds like a "pinch" problem to me.Nitro engines do not have piston rings, and rely on the cylinder to "pinch" the piston at the top of the stroke. As your engine gets hot, what little compression you have is made even less, and makes the engine die. To test the "pinch" - take out the glowplug and turn the engine over using the flywheel. As the piston reaches the top of the stroke is it harder to turn? If not and the engine rotates freely all the way around, the "pinch"has relaxed and the cylinder will need to be resized or replaced.

The 3.3 OWB is located on the starter shaft, between the starter system and the engine back plate; often it may hang in the starter unit when it is removed from the back plate.
Other types of engines can have the OWB located behind the backplate inside the crankcase.

Cantlive4ever,
Have you tried a new glow plug?
Often a worn plug can start and engine and sustain idle but cause the engine to stall immediately when throttle is applied.

could be either, try factory tune and tune it from there first, if you can't get it right might be an air leak. but u might as well do a quick check on the air leaks first. blow into the rear of the exhaust and no air should escape. if it does it will be in the fuel tank seal or the header seal. otherwise could be carb or back plate leak. are you checking your temps while ur running it and when it dies?

its the same seconds after I start it or minutes of trying to figure it out.

---------- Post added at 1:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:31 PM ----------

ya new glow plug
new fuel line
new air filter
just I ran it rich and it still will do the same thing just bogs more
can't seem to get it right
I guess I will drop it off at the LHS