damn glue!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOUTCH

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
:)Hi guys!! I didn't know exactly where to ask this but here goes...any of you know how to unglue a tire from a rim without ripping the tire apart. They seem to have gone wild with the glue, so dont wanna risk it. So i decided to ask the professionals.:surrender Thanks

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a can of acetone from Home Depot and a empty paint can. Fill the can half full with the acetone. Set the tires in it overnight or for a couple days and then they pop right off. It's easier if there are holes in the rims. Also, this or any other method of removing tires will ruin the foams so you'll have to get another set when your ready to re-glue to new rims.

boil them
it works great glue pops right off doesn't hurt anything cept foam gets wet but it dries

If your wheels are chrome acetone may damage the chrome. But it will release the glue.

If i boil 'em, it wont make the rim deform or anything?:surrender

have heard lots of BAD from boiling.
heard form many fellow r/c'ers on many different sites about being burnt

My method to releasing glued tires from the rim is to bake them.
i was told 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes was the best. usually 15-16 minutes does it for me.

yes the tires are hot when you remove them. i use oven mits.
it works every time for me.

Acetone, work in a well ventilated area, and work slowly. The tires will come off the rim. I prefer this over any form of heat, since you don't risk deforming the rim or the tire.

i boiled three sets of buggy tires and a couple of stadium truck tires without a simgle problem u just have to dry everything out

i tried the baking thing it seems to make the tires soften up even after theve cooled

yea i also heard it was best to put them in the oven for 15 minutes

I've never had consistent results with boiling or baking... and I gave them both a honest try. It almost never fails, I get one tire that rips, then I'm stuck with a set of 3... 3-wheeling on a pimp-mo-bile may be cool, but not so much on a RC MT.

I've been using the acetone method lately. I took 16 tires off 16 rims. All MT tires with heavy glue jobs (by me). All 16 came off cleanly and with almost no glue residue. Took me a couple week to get it done, but it's done. I now have 4 sets of tires that need foams and rims.

The rims were all rims I either got in trade and were HPI (which stripped on me) or severely cracked from many years worth of heavy bashing. So, I didn't care how they came out looking (as if I really care anyway...). The acetone does take off paint, chrome and glue. It also ruined the majority of the foams. I think by liquidating the glue and then the foam soaking it up. When the foams dried, they were stiff as a board and all messed up.

I took a small baking pan, about 8x8x3 and filled it half way with acetone. Laid the MT tire in it, then used saran wrap (or that new sticky saran wrap replacement paper/plastic) to the upper lip of the pan to keep the acetone from evaporating and to keep some of the fumes in. I'd let it sit there flat like that overnight, then come out in the morning, push the rubber off the bead, then flip the tire onto the other side for the day while I went to work. The rubber would almost always just fall off the rim.

Each time, I'd have to add a little more acetone to the pan due to evaporation or it getting loaded up in the foam when the tire was done. I never emptied the pan until I was done with all tires... the stuff left in the pan was very not pretty. Dark murky mess. Smelled something awful.

I didn't buy hardware store acetone... I had my wife pick up 100% acetone in 16oz bottles in the nail/beauty section of the dept store... and a couple bottles at wal-greens... I'm sure getting a couple cans at the hardware store would have been cheaper...

When the tire was done, I'd wet a paper towel with fresh clean acetone and wipe up any residual glue/acetone off the bead and sidewall of the tire, then let the tire air dry. I tried sparing a few of the foams... but all that did was release and insane amount of fumes into the room and the foams all were shot when they dried anyway. My advice on those, wring them out in your pan, then throw them into a bag that you can throw away and tie the top.

I also did a pair of 1/10 ST tires and it worked just as well on those too. Actually easier, because I fit two in the pan vs 1 MT tire.

At $20-$25 a pair (roughly) for sets of MT tires, I didn't ruin or damage $160-$200 worth of tires. Since I run t-maxx 2.5 rims @ $10 a pair and cheap foams at $7 for 4... I'll wait until I "need" them to install them back on rims.

Last edited:
hmmm... i know the foams would have been shot in acetone, but what about the rubber? woulndt acetone affect the rubber at all? like make it stiffer and easier to crack?

Didn't seem to. Still pliable and I didn't notice any weather checking or anything odd.

I did something similar with the tires I run on my aftershock. They were losi's zombie maxx's. Got the on ebay pretty cheap on HPI rims. Apparently, the guy that mounted them did it when he was drunk as all four where glued badly and out of round. Eventually, I spun a hex (love hpi wheels... :( ) and I used CA debonder. Which is basically acetone gel sold at a ridiculous price. After spending two bottles worth of letting it sit for hours on the bead, I eventually just took a syringe with acetone and squirted the bead ever 10-15 minutes... that's when I thought about the pan idea.

I've remounted and ran those tires quite a bit since then and have had no issues. I really saturated the entire sidewall when I squirted the acetone on it too. Took forever as the acetone would evaporate quickly and required constantly repeated applications. The losi tires are a really soft rubber.

I also have ran the 1/10 ST tires on my jato which are also losi tires (step pins) and they haven't had any issues either. With a 18TM in my jato, I'm really putting some strain on the rubber too.

I, too, have used the acetone method with much success, much the same as Olds as outlined and never had a problem with the tires being useful afterwards. Foams were shot to poop, but foams are MUCH cheaper than tires!

I use the acetone in a needle-less syringe (ask your dentist). It allows you to put the acetone exactly where you need it, and helps prevent dead foams.

Oven method here too. But damn I hate the smell!

so no one boils them?? i boiled all my buggy tires and the foams dont get ruined this way either

bringing this thread back up, hope someone is paying attention.

how long do you need to boil the tire? i have 3.8 gemini's with talon tires.

oh and what kind of glue is the best to glue the tire back on to the rim?

and is there anything special i need to do or know before i glue the tire to the wheel?

Last edited:
A thin-set CA glue works best for glueing tires to rims.

Boil them until they come off. There's no set time. Boil them and check every few minutes. You really can't ruin them, just let them cool down before mounting them on the new rims.

Back