Custom Made Nitro Rear Exhaust Tuning & Qs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay, I've read alot that doing a custom exhaust decreases the power of the RC but I got mine on my N4-Tec (I have 65-72mph top speed so I'm willing to lose alil) just about the same as the video but all soldered copper piping with a dual exhaust instead of a single. Runs ok but the LS realy lags out and doesn't wanna move the RC and the HS seems like it bubbles or a small gurgle (spell check..) And the video below proves to me that it can be done but I wanna know how to tune it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also... When I do tune up for the pipe would I have to go back to the factory HSn & LSn settings and have my idle screw back as well? Any input would be awesome because I wanna get tuned up and get out

And if the one works well in the video, will 2 make even less back pressure and be a waste of time, I put alot of effort into tinkering on the exhaust..

There is a company that makes a kit to re-route the exhaust similar to what it looks like your going for... if I can find it, I'll make a link.

They use pvc/plastic tubing. They sell it for their actual pipes though...

There is a company that makes a kit to re-route the exhaust similar to what it looks like your going for... if I can find it, I'll make a link.

They use pvc/plastic tubing. They sell it for their actual pipes though...
Right on, I just wanna be able to tune it after its installed permanently.

Anyone - Will I be able to re-tune it with the already tuned needles or have to set it all back to factory and re-tune?

If it is not a tuned pipe you'll never get a proper tune on it. The engine depends on the shape of the exhaust for proper scavenging. Google nitro engine tuning and tuned pipe theory for a more detailed explanation.

Now it just needs flames coming out the back and he's straight up fast and the furious.

You figure out how to do it without unburnt fuel collecting in the exhaust pipe, and let me know. I've been considering something similar for my Mutilator, I want to put smoke stacks on it.

Actually the set up I have in process has enough power to run the unburnt fueal out to the back, instead of plastic/copper bits its a full copper pipe solderded and sealed, just need some copper end caps and ill be able to see if I can't tune it up.

The "tuned pipe" is designed to vent to atmosphere at the stinger, adding all the extra length and restriction will not allow the pipe to perform properly due to the added back pressure. You may find you have heat issues, you will also get a buildup of oil in the pipe, it may eject some of the oil but it won't get rid of all of it. Placing a small pressure fitting at the bottom of the pipe will help drain off the oil but the overall system will only cost you power and performance. I'm not saying don't do it, just sharing some info on what will happen with that set up.

no you will probably want to tune it differently with the new pipe maybe a little richer