Curing esc over heating

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My hobbywing 8bl150 and the esc in my rival mt10( rebrand hobbywing) both over heat. Motor temps and gearing are stock, and both do it with temps as low as 65f degrees. Do i just upgrade fans or should i add another heat sink?

Hey, Caleb. Had a similar experience running my MT10 in the extreme heat last week. Motor "felt" hotter than the ESC, so am going to order the below motor fan next week. 100deg F + ambient outdoor temps don't help any this time of year. 'AC'

HR Motorfan

[Edit for personal note: I'm of the opinion that a big contributor to ESC over heating is the underside mounting with double-sided tape. My experience when removing an ESC from a chassis is that the 2xtape always seems "baked in place" and rippled by heat making it double-tough to remove. Haven't done it yet, but on occasion of removing the MT10 ESC, am going to affix brass tubing with heat sink glue to the underside of the ESC, then double side tape it to the chassis. That will add air flow and heat extraction under the base of the ESC. FWIW. Cheers. 'AC']

Attachments

• 20220610_113247_resize RCT.jpg
    20220610_113247_resize RCT.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hey Caleb and all,

Did the install on a motor heat sink with fan. HR Racing MH550TE03. Powering both it and the ESC fan with a 3in Y-harness pinned into the fan port on the MT10 ESC. Y-Harness is E-flite EFLRYH3.

96deg F and 65% humidity for today's test run. No thermaling issues. 2S power battery.

Did you go with a larger motor fan, Caleb? Cheers. 'AC'

Attachments

• S6304505_resize RCT.JPG
    S6304505_resize RCT.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 37
  • S6304506_resize RCT.JPG
    S6304506_resize RCT.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 36
Hey Caleb and all,

Did the install on a motor heat sink with fan. HR Racing MH550TE03. Powering both it and the ESC fan with a 3in Y-harness pinned into the fan port on the MT10 ESC. Y-Harness is E-flite EFLRYH3.

96deg F and 65% humidity for today's test run. No thermaling issues. 2S power battery.

Did you go with a larger motor fan, Caleb? Cheers. 'AC'
Funny you posted this, as just today i picked this up on my way home. https://www.smalladdictionsrc.com/ecopower-30x30x10mm-high-speed-high-volt-cooling-fan-21-000rpm/

Same size as the stock esc fan, fits under the cover like oem but spins twice as fast. Things rips ,can feel the air moving if you put your hand near the esc. I put a 3s pack in it and ran it wide open in my field and it didnt over heat. Think it did the trick, as i couldnt get through a 3s pack just hitting jumps and playing around with out it over heating
Also, the new fan for my hobbywing 8bl150 showed up today. It was in a hobbywing package, but had a "tornado" sticker on it and showed a higher amp load that the one i took out. It does spin a bit faster than the one i took out, but half way through testing i smacked a tree and broke a tie rod end.

Overall, I like the Reedy power unit in the MT10. Plan is to migrate this power unit over to my SMT10 once that kit is built.

The radio system, not so much so. Servo will make the transition to the SMT10-at least on an interim basis. Radio will stay with this chassis when it goes up for sale on Ebay as a roller.

Option two is to hang onto this MT10 (Stock) as a spare parts hangar queen for my other MT10 (Mod). I like the MT10 as a sturdy 2S platform. Hope you and your family get continued good use out of yours. Cheers. 'AC'

Back