Crankshaft Bearing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick1oswald

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all.
I need some advice, I'm battling to take out the bearings for my traxxes nitro 0.15 engine. I have tried heating the engine to 200 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes and attempting to knock them out with no luck. Please bare in mind that the engine is 8 years old and has been sitting for 4 years and the inner bearing is rusted. I cannot afford to purchase a bearing puller. Do any of you have some advice or maybe another solution that might work.

The idea is to hear the surrounding metal (case) so it expands while the target ( bearing) stays the same size. Not sure if you were able to direct your heat this way.
While it is hot, you may be able to melt some paraffin wax in there. If it is done right, it should help to cool just the bearing and provides excellent lubrication. I would find a drill bit or metal rod that is the same diameter as the crank shaft. After heat, slip the rod in and give it some wiggling. Hopefully that will give you some actual pressure instead of just impact. That's all I really have for you short of trying to drill it out which puts the case at risk.

I've never had the "heat and whack" method not work. Maybe your not hitting it hard enough? It takes a pretty good whack sometimes.

Sometimes its not because it needs heat ,its because bearings need to be pulled an equal amount of pressure all the
way around the bearing ,which is what a puller does!

I'm having the same issue the only difference is that only the outer ring is stuck the inner ring and the rest of the bearing is already out. It is the main bearing inside the crank case.

I asked ,because a lot of times ,if its a common engine ,you can just buy a new crankcase with bearings!
Its hard to fish the outer bearing casings out!
In my case I have to get a hole new engine because there in no support on parts in South Africa for that engine.
It comes out a Tnx 3.0 you know of any other engines that might be worth putting in there?

Hi All,
Unfortunately not. I did however find a hobby place near me that can pull the bearings and replace them. I actually landed up buying the OFNA Ultra LX Comp second hand at a really good price.
@TheoSAn, i see you also located in South Africa, if you live in Johannesburg, the hobby shop in Melrose Arch can pull the bearings and replace them for you.
I'm not sure of the hobby Shops name but if you drop me an email, i can provide you with his details.

Thanks again for all your help.

I'm having the same issue the only difference is that only the outer ring is stuck the inner ring and the rest of the bearing is already out. It is the main bearing inside the crank case.
If your only option is a new engine... then at the very least, I'd try using a dremel to grind out a spot on the outer race. Then you should be able to pick at it with a screwdriver or something to bend the race and get it out of the crankcase. You just need to be very careful when grinding (with a sanding drum or stone bit) so you don't grind crankcase once your through the race. Even then, a little dab of silicone would probably seal up the area fine with a new bearing.

Back