Could someone explain...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Could Someone explain what "Spec" Racing is?

Tom, you can compare it to IROC. Everybody drives the same car. Generally, everybody needs to run a certain turn motor for spec class. I think it's generaly 19T for brushed and either 13.5 or 17.5 for brushless.

Ah... that makes sense. Thanks my friend! I understand now. I am looking to put a brushless motor in my slash and was looking at the Novak Havoc system. It comes in a variety of turns... one being a 10.5T "Spec" motor. That is what raised the question. Now I am guessing it is called Spec class because 10.5 is a common wind in Spec class racing? Thanks

Tom

It must be. I think I need to correct myself. I think 17.5 is considerd "stock" for brushless racing. That's what I want to put in a sedan whenever I can manage to build one. The Havoc system would probably be good for me too.

For $150... it is tough to beat. My dad has the sidewinder setup in his T4, which is around the same price and it seems to work alright... I guess I am just a Novak guy. LOL I guess now I will either have to go online, or take a 2 hour ride to Annapolis to the Hobby Town to take a look. I think for the money it's a nice BL setup. I mean compared to the $245 GTB setup. 10.5 T should be pleanty for that slash.. maybe too much... but when has too much horsepower been a bad thing?! :D

Tom,

In Spec Slash Class Racing you are not allowed to run anything other than the stock motor and ESC. You will want to check with your local track to ensure you are within the limitations of spec class, otherwise they may bump you into modified.

Dom, so is it basically a class for RTR's?

In Spec Slash you are able to change the shock caps, use any weight shock oil/piston, receiver, and battery pack. Everything else is supposed to be stock.

Some tracks run a separate novice offroad class which will have mostly RTRs or entry level kits with 27 turn brushed or 17.5 brushless.

Tom,

In Spec Slash Class Racing you are not allowed to run anything other than the stock motor and ESC. You will want to check with your local track to ensure you are within the limitations of spec class, otherwise they may bump you into modified.

Thank you for the info my friend. I wish I had a stock class to race in! LOL There is no local tracks anywhere near me. Actually the reason for the question.... was I was trying to figure out why Novak was calling it a Spec motor... I thought it had something to do with Spec class racing... which is where the original question came from. Thank you to both of you guys for answering my questions, I am now better educated on exactly what Spec class racing is.

I don't know if I will change out the motor out just yet. I will probably get my money's worth out of the stocker first! LOL

I was just wondering if the 10.5 T would be a good fit.

It would be nice if I had a local track to race these things with. Racing it around my back yard track is a blast! I can only imagine what it would be like with 10 or more Slash's out there racing at the same time.

Tom

Back