Cool stuff... Gotta Share.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooky78

RCNT Window Licker
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So my brother called me yesterday and we were doing our usual chit chat. And he nonchalantly says "Oh, hey, I forgot to tell you, I pulled flag detail."
Yea. My kid brother pulled flag detail. I respond with my usual "Uh.... okayyyy..?"
So, long story short, my brother has the honor of holding the American Flag for the "Presentation of Colors" for the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500.
Wait, what?! We're just a couple guys from Nowhere Special, Central Indiana. This is my kid brother we're talking about here. The kid I used to knock off his bike to see how far he'd roll. The kid I chucked into the White River to see if we could walk on the ice. (Answer was no, by the way )

So, yeah, sorry fellas, I'm bragging. It's not a huge national holiday thing happening in Washington DC, it's not The Tomb of The Unknowns, but for an average guy from a small town in the midwest, it's a pretty big deal. I'm super excited for him.
Thanks for letting me share with y'all.

So my brother called me yesterday and we were doing our usual chit chat. And he nonchalantly says "Oh, hey, I forgot to tell you, I pulled flag detail."
Yea. My kid brother pulled flag detail. I respond with my usual "Uh.... okayyyy..?"
So, long story short, my brother has the honor of holding the American Flag for the "Presentation of Colors" for the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500.
Wait, what?! We're just a couple guys from Nowhere Special, Central Indiana. This is my kid brother we're talking about here. The kid I used to knock off his bike to see how far he'd roll. The kid I chucked into the White River to see if we could walk on the ice. (Answer was no, by the way )

So, yeah, sorry fellas, I'm bragging. It's not a huge national holiday thing happening in Washington DC, it's not The Tomb of The Unknowns, but for an average guy from a small town in the midwest, it's a pretty big deal. I'm super excited for him.
Thanks for letting me share with y'all.

Are you kidding me.......That's way better than Washington DC!.....Awsome Man!...:thumbs-up:

Kinda what I thought! And they lifted the local blackout, so he's going to on local as well as national television!

That's awesome. Congrats to you and your bro. My uncle was a hardcore Indy 500 fan. He made the trip every year from western Pa. to Indy for the race.

Thanks. I guess it's maybe not quite what I was thinking. My Mom just told me that there's 50 soldiers doing it. But even still.

Lucky him :) Although what is "Indianapolis 500"? Heard about it being a city, is this some kind of racing event held there?

Lucky him :) Although what is "Indianapolis 500"? Heard about it being a city, is this some kind of racing event held there?
It's the largest single day sporting event in the world. 200 laps on a 2 1/2 mile oval. 500 miles or 805 Km to you. The same cars that run in the Monaco Grand Prix but at a MUCH higher speed.

It's the largest single day sporting event in the world. 200 laps on a 2 1/2 mile oval. 500 miles or 805 Km to you. The same cars that run in the Monaco Grand Prix but at a MUCH higher speed.
I think I know what you mean now. For distance though, we have the 24h le mans. It's a 24h long race non stop- the furthest distance traveled is 5,410.713KM (3362 Miles) in 24h, in an audi R15. The fastest lap recorded was 3'14''843, average speed of 251Kmh (155mph)- although, of course, the fastest Indianapolis lap was 187mph, quite a bit faster. Both are insanely fast though... Sounds impressive, maybe if I go to the US one day I'll see whether I can watch it.

Not quite. Fastest indy lap ever:
1996 236
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
Eddie Cheever, Jr.

That's right.....236 MPH! In Km per hour that would translate to "NO WAY"

That was a race lap. I believe there were faster laps in time trials when no one is in your way or stirring up the air.
========================================================
EDIT:
  • What is the fastest official lap ever turned?
  • 237.498 mph by Arie Luyendyk during qualifying May 12, 1996. Luyendyk turned a lap of 239.260 during practice May 10, 1996. It was the fastest unofficial lap ever at the Speedway, as practice laps are not official.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was just about to look that up.

So, apparently, 236 MPH in KMH translates to "HOLY CRAP!"
We actually use MPH in the UK, strangely. As well as pints (for beer), and some people use feet and inches in casual terms, however we use centigrade, and CM and MM and Metre in anything that needs to be precise, or on the news, or anything along those lines. It's weird, but it works :p

We actually use MPH in the UK, strangely. As well as pints (for beer), and some people use feet and inches in casual terms, however we use centigrade, and CM and MM and Metre in anything that needs to be precise, or on the news, or anything along those lines. It's weird, but it works :p

After a few pints ,you kinda lose count anyways!...LOL

Back