Converting to diesel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stardate93

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i want to convert my revo 3.3 over to diesel how is that done and what will i need to do to the engine
thanks

can you convert nitro engines to diesel? i've never heard of it.

huh odd i could see how it would be done but why you! would lose ton of power nitro is a killer blend. for power and protection. diesel is slower burning and no protection.

your best bet is go to with a 1/5th gasser if you want more of that feel. of real gas.

In theory I don't think it would be possible without a "full" conversion. You would need a glow plug much stronger than the stock one, powered by it's own constant source.

Not sure how familiar you are with diesel and the way it works- but it if far different than a normal gas or even a nitro powered vehicle.

Diesel works through "detonation"- whereas a gasoline or nitro methane engine has fuel premixed with oil, then injected into the engine where it is ignited by a flame or spark, a Diesel engine relies on the sheer force of the rapidly churning piston to detonate the fuel. This is done by compressing the fuel to the point of complete combustion- There are no spark plugs or other ignition sources at all. the "Glow Plug" is simply to warm the fuel to a temperature stable enough to get flow and detonation.

I just don't see a small nitro engine producing the power to spontaneously combust a fuel that burns that slow with the one small piston- I would most likely seize after one fire, if it ever got that far.

It's been done, but more of a curiosity than a benefit. These nitro engines are very similar in nature to diesels in that they have no spark plugs, no valves, and are 2 strokes rather than 4. Once they have fired up with a glow plug, the continuing detonation keeps the plug hot.
It works because nitro methane is an extremely volatile fuel, and doesn't need nearly as much compression to ignite as diesel would.

I remember reading an article online about it 6 or 7 years ago when I first got into the hobby. From what I remember, the engine looked much closer to a cox type engine. A diesel conversion kit was made that would allow you to turn something to change the timing of the engine.

Tons of people do it with airplane engines. But it is not normal pump diesel, its $30 a gallon diesel lol.
You can't go to the 711 and buy 10 gallons of fuel for $30, you have to buy special diesel fuel. Here is a post made by someone on rcg

"$2.50 a gallon? You must be talking about the kind of diesel fuel used in real diesel engines as used in trucks and automobiles. Sadly our "diesel" engines do not run on that. As previously mentioned, they run on a mixture of Ether, Castor Oil and Kerosine. I'd like to be able to buy that for $2.50 a gallon. Where I am (rural Australia) it costs about $80 a litre which would be about $150 a gallon though it is probably not so expensive in the US. The problem is the ether which is hard to get and expensive when you can get it. The fuel also benefits from an ignition improver (about 1 to 2%) and it is expensive and hard to get too.

Our so called "diesels" are not true diesels (as designed by Dr Rudolph Diesel) - they are "compression ignition" engines. A true diesel uses compression to heat air in the combustion chamber then at the critical point injects fuel into the now very hot cylinder which then burns and powers the engine. Our engines compress a charge of fuel and air. They contain ether which has a very low flash point and which causes the fuel to fire.

So if your reason for wanting to convert a glow engine to diesel is to save money, I suspect you are going to be disappointed.

But - there are good reasons for using diesels.

1. They do not need batteries and glow plugs. No need to carry around all that kit just to start your engine. All you need is some fuel.

2. They can be more powerful then glow engines. The highly developed engines used for FAI Team Racing haul their planes round at high speeds using very little fuel.

3. They will swing larger props than glow engines as they produce more torque at lower revs."

4. They are more fuel efficient. They use about half the fuel that an equivalent glow engine does. (But it costs more.)

5. And just because they are different to the run-of-the-mill glow engine. Every time I turn up with one, it always gets lots of comments. I was going out this morning but my mates tell me it is too windy. Perhaps tomorrow.

wow.. cough cough.. man the dust around here..

you guys do know this thread is 2 years old right??

if he was gonna convert it i sure hope he isnt still waiting..

I would imagine that if it were a True Diesel it would probably rip the block to shreds from detonation.

Yea, i knew it was 2 yrs old. I was just saying that you need a special fuel that costs just as much or more than nitromethane fuel.

"True" diesel is not easily compressed. That is why diesel engines knock so badly. I do not think a hobby class RC mill will even compress the fuel.

And that is all I have to add to this two year old thread. Now get to cleaning!!!

diesel revo

Yes they sell kits but i do not know where u can get one and have u ever heard of a 2 stroke diesel that is the fuel u want to use. To make it u just add diesel motor oil just like for gas and u will not need a glow plug the conversion comes with every thing u need works much better on bigger engines. Diesel needs a higher compression ratio that little engines can't handle. I am going to try 2 cycle diesel with my 3.3 and a real hot glow plug and i will keep the igniter to keep it hot in the engine on since i will not get the compression i need.

Yes they sell kits but i do not know where u can get one and have u ever heard of a 2 stroke diesel that is the fuel u want to use. To make it u just add diesel motor oil just like for gas and u will not need a glow plug the conversion comes with every thing u need works much better on bigger engines. Diesel needs a higher compression ratio that little engines can't handle. I am going to try 2 cycle diesel with my 3.3 and a real hot glow plug and i will keep the igniter to keep it hot in the engine on since i will not get the compression i need.

Back