Converting single speed to 2-speed?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millerracer

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Can someone take me through the conversion from going from an HPI 15fe engine RS4 to a 2-speed?

Is it a pretty easy upgrade? Will it make it quicker out of corners and faster?

I am not really looking for top speed really - I just want it to rocket off corners and carry that speed better.

Will the 15fe even pull the added weight better or will I need to be upgrading engines to an 18os or 18ss?

one last Q :) - If I had the 15fe single speed and an 18ss 2-speed, can I swap it back and forth reletively quick? or do I have to completely swap the diffs too?

Thanks in advance!

millerracer said:
Can someone take me through the conversion from going from an HPI 15fe engine RS4 to a 2-speed?

Is it a pretty easy upgrade? Will it make it quicker out of corners and faster?

I am not really looking for top speed really - I just want it to rocket off corners and carry that speed better.

Will the 15fe even pull the added weight better or will I need to be upgrading engines to an 18os or 18ss?

one last Q :) - If I had the 15fe single speed and an 18ss 2-speed, can I swap it back and forth reletively quick? or do I have to completely swap the diffs too?

Thanks in advance!

I think if you upgrade to the 2 speed on the chassis, then in order to be able to use either motor just get both motors with the 2 speed bell. IMO to have different clutchbells with coinciding gearing is all you need. To keep the 15FE would be really for a back up motor. Put it to you this way. the 15FE maybe a dog of an engine,but if you change the carb it will help you tons. The addition of the LSN is a big factor in tuning off the line acceleration.

Make sense? It did in my head...

LOL.. it makes sense. I was told to look for an OS 10e carb...

I know the lack of adjustment kills that motor - plumage of smoke comes out if you are running long tracks so you don't run it too lean... then it hits the sweet spot about 20 feet before you have to turn then you are too rich again.

millerracer said:
LOL.. it makes sense. I was told to look for an OS 10e carb...

I know the lack of adjustment kills that motor - plumage of smoke comes out if you are running long tracks so you don't run it too lean... then it hits the sweet spot about 20 feet before you have to turn then you are too rich again.
And you were told by the right person..NCNitro. He recommended that to me when I first got my OG RS4 3 RTR. Best upgrade that rig got IMO. Do you have the EVO or the old RS4 3??

I'm assuming you have the HPI RS4 3 RTR, in which case your stock gear is 18/47 according to HPIs site.

First gear on the two speed is 18/47 and second is 22/43. This means all the two speed is going to do is give you more top speed, because first gear will be the same. If you want more acceleration you're better off to go with a better engine.

You will need to also buy some mounts to put in an .18, but it shouldn't take long to swap out the engine. The two speed will take a bit longer to swap. Your stock diffs should hold up ok, but may wear out quiker with the bigger engine.

Jon, I would guess its the old RTR 3 cause the evo has a 2 speed already, along with the T-15 engine.

Last edited:
This is why I love this RC forum over others - I always get immediate answers, and me being impatient - that is a plus :)

I have the RTR - bought used, and have quickly gone through it and I am pretty meticulous with things.

I would assume there are other ratios available for that 2-speed to give it a taller 1st and 2nd gears right? maybe go to a 17/20 or 17/21 bell gear? or do they not make them.

If you say it is going to be cheaper just to upgrade the motor - I'm good with that...lol. No sense spinning my wheels for nothing.

I SHOULD pick up a new carb though first right? Afterall - I'd like to see how good this 15fe would be after I completely rebuilt it and broke it in over the last week. It seems to really scream once it is cleared out...(well - as much as a little 15fe can scream anyways)

Yes you could put a bigger spur on your car, which would increase the accel but slow down the top speed. Not positive what gears they make tho.

There are more gear options for the 2 speed aswell, not sure specificly what options tho. I know they make taller gearing, which comes stock on the .18SS kit, but thats not gonna help you any.

Its not going to be cheaper to buy a new engine, but who doesn't want more power?? LOL The carb will help some, and its a good idea yes.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP7&P=ML <-- Plop that in your car and you will be hauling some ass haha.

Last edited:
PERFECT.. thanks - Looks like I've settled on a carb... then an engine upgrade with the 2-speed gearing.

bonus.

one last Question - I had looked at that carb a few days ago - and the adjustments don't look any different the the carb I have on. Where are the different adjustments on the 10e?

Just an fyi, with the 2 speed and that .18 engine your car will be up in the 50 mph range.

But, the carb is the logical next step, it will help that .15 run smoother and will give it a bit of extra power due to the larger opening for more air.

millerracer said:
PERFECT.. thanks - Looks like I've settled on a carb... then an engine upgrade with the 2-speed gearing.

bonus.

one last Question - I had looked at that carb a few days ago - and the adjustments don't look any different the the carb I have on. Where are the different adjustments on the 10e?
You know where the HSN. The LSN is the screw that is at the base of the rotary arm.

doh - I don't know HOW I could have missed that....lol. Sticking out of the side like a sore thumb. Thanks guys. Ordered one already.

millerracer said:
doh - I don't know HOW I could have missed that....lol. Sticking out of the side like a sore thumb. Thanks guys. Ordered one already.
Great! Let us know how the upgrades do? I know from playing with the carb, it makes a BIG difference IMO. Vids man....

lol..will do!

Pictures of the car crushed underneath a car tire might be more realistic though :)