Converting nitro to electric

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmakerman48

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
ok my rc10gt2 is rilly irritating me rite now trying to get it tuned properly and i am sick of spending money on nitro. just today i went through a whole quart of nitro fuel. so what i am wondering is if there is anyway to switch my nitro into an electric. i know very little about electric rc's but i do know they make kits for some nitro's. does anyone know of a kit that will work or how to do that? thanks

If you got the room to getbat the spur gear I don't see a problem tank factory team has some rigs with a carbon chissis with a stand alone motor mount that you could buy to make it work or make a mount

do u think it would be over $100.00 cuz if it is ill keep fiddling with it untell i get the carb tuned rite and just sell the thing and buy an electric

It'll be way more than $100 if you want it to perform anywhere near what it does in nitro form. Esc/motor around $200. A few good batteries will be another $200 or so. Another $100-150 for a good charger. You could go with cheaper stuff, but you get what you pay for. I'd just tune what you have. There isn't too much to them rigs; it shouldn't be too difficult to get running right. If you wanted to go real cheap, get a xl5 stampede($150), a universal smart charger($25), and an 8 cell 4200 tenergy from fastrcbatteries.com($60).

I would say sell the one you have and get a new RTR brushless setup and save yourself all the headaches;-unless you like what you're running that bad..

I found that if you take the time to disassemble the engine and carb,clean them up and reseal them properly with new seals and o-rings you can eliminate the obvious problems to why the engine wont tune right....The obvious problems are worn out engine, air leaks at bearings,carb slider/rotator or carb needles or clogs and dirty needles.The others are faulty glow plug,glow starter and improper tuning practices..There is a vid running around u-tube on how to check for leaks by only removing engine from chassis and using bubbled soapy water with a brush.Try removing the tank,washing it out,removing the engine and resealing it totally,adding new fuellines and new cleaned-out fuel filter...Start out with factory carb settings,fresh fuel and new glowplug thats right for the engine and ambient temp range..After that it should either run and tune right or its junk and needs a rebuild or replacement.. Good Luck

Last edited:
ok I've thrown that idear out the window. thanks guys I'm just going to buy a E firestorm or something in a few weeks and in the mean time try to sell that baby. it is a nice car though so if it doesn't get sold o well not a big deal. thanks again for the help this forem rocks.

Back